Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thedogs
New Member!
Male 

18-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Seperation anxiety

i have two dogs one is 16 months old and the other is 8months old the 8month old i think has seperation anxiety when im in they are good as gold would never poo inside but as soon as i leave them on there own he panics and poos everywhere and trys to get out digging through walls and doors ive tried caging them but my older dog just escapes and my younger dog isnt strong enough and injures himself but i cant leave him in the cage on his own because he freeks out! has any1 experianced this or have any idea what to do!
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi, not quite the same as you cos we only have one dog. We had a really hard time leaving him on his own and didn't really go anywhere for nearly a year! We had a crate for him but he never liked it and wouldn't settle in it at all. When we left him we did the coming back into the room straight away and tried to build the minutes up but he never got used to it- still whines now if we have to shut him in another room. He's been to the vets cos he's torn claws trying to escape from the kitchen and altogether leaving him alone was very stressful for us and him. One day we had to go out and we couldn't take Oz with us, my husband suggested letting him have the run of the house ( a couple of room doors closed upstairs ) just as he does when we're at home. We,ve never looked back. He's always been as good as gold and never had any damage to himself or property. The worse thing he does is to curl up on the sofa which he's not allowed to do when we're at home but i can live with that!Maybe your pup would feel less stressful if he could have the freedom to move round the house with the older dog. Start off by just going to the bottom of the drive then returning and build it up from there. Good luck cos I know it's hard work.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I do feel for you, and I am sure that others will come along before too long with some excellent advice for you to try.

A few of us had a very long, tedious ( ) thread devoted to this subject.........if you want a read of our experiences and trials and tribulations, here you go

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=125856
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2011, 08:46 AM
I can feel for you as we are still battling separation issues with our dog. Read the thread Bitkin sent and you will see what we have been doing. It's a long very slow process but each slight glimmer of improvement makes you want to go on. My dog is vocal when left on her own but after a long hard struggle we are now at the stage of leaving her for 20 minutes without her reacting. So it can be done!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2011, 08:56 AM
in my experience, as a breed, staffies can be prone to SA.
as they are nanny dogs.
is the relationship between you pretty full on?
thedogs
New Member!
Male 

21-01-2011, 08:51 AM
yes when we first got him my girlfriend was always with him and we babied him abit and he does follow her around the house alot
thedogs
New Member!
Male 

21-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
in my experience, as a breed, staffies can be prone to SA.
as they are nanny dogs.
is the relationship between you pretty full on?

my 8 month old is acctually inbreed could this affect his behaviour?