Our sister sites
Our sister sites
joey
New Member!
Male 

16-11-2008, 12:50 AM

First injections!

Hey,

I'm getting a puppy in about 10 days from a local border collie breeder. He's 3 months old but hasnt had his injections (there's been no need as hes just been on the owners land with only dogs that have had all there injections), hes a pedigree and hes a beautiful tri colour.

I met him today with my mum. we're waiting for my dad to come home from work abroad before we pick take him home.

now.. im going to take him on wednesday to get his first injection, before taking him back to the breeder till dad gets home. I'm kinda worried that he will then associate me with the pain of the injection, along with the stress of it being his first time out of the place where he lives, and that will have an effect on our relationship before we even start

Hes lovely and calm, and gentle, but i dont know how he's going to react at the vets

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks

Joey
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 01:19 AM
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Half the time dogs don't realise they're having a jab anyway. Mine were fine but my boy screamed like a banshi when he was microchipped but then floored the vet and licked him to death. Take something along to distract him with for those few seconds the jab is done.
What lines is your dog from? I'm just nosey as love looking at pedigrees LOL.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

16-11-2008, 10:36 AM
I agree with Megan 57 collies. I would not worryeither. The Puppy will probably not even notice.

Good luck with your new puppy. What are you naming him?

Some pictures of him when he comes home with you would be nice.

and Welcome to Dogsey from me and my gang.
joey
New Member!
Male 

16-11-2008, 10:55 PM
umm im not sure what 'line' he is, although it'd be cool to find out! the breeder gave me what looks like his entire family tree though! we're going to call him 'Mr Bloxham' .. dont ask its a very long and boring story including a butler who turned out to just be a lodger.. haha i said dont ask!

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, and yeh i'll post some pics when he's home!

Cheers
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Hi Joey welcome to Dogsey I would take some little pieces of chicken with you to the vets and give them to the puppy when it has the vaccination talking to it in a bright voice at the same time, that way it will associate the vet with pleasant things. (my vet keeps a little jar of treats for the same purpose).

Most puppies don't even seem to feel the vaccination