Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 03:13 PM

obsessive licking!

Hi all, just wondered if anyone elses dog does this -

In the afternoons Paris becomes rather silly. Its usually this time of day when she's expecting her dinner. She will not stop licking - our hands, feet, knees, faces, anything she can reach! Its really strange and she gets more and more obsessive about it, trying to climb on the sofa or search up sleeves for hands to lick!

Our dogs are not allowed on the furniture, they have 2 plush beds in the lounge instead. She has now started climbing on the sofa to get attention when she gets in her 'dinner state'. How should we address this? At the moment we just completely ignore her (which is rather difficult if you are on the sofa and a greyhound is attempting to stand on your legs! ). I tried a firm no but she just ignores that completely.

I've posted about this before and tried a few ideas to distract her before lunch but its not always possible to do these. It would be good to know what we should be doing when she gets like this!

Thanks for reading.
Clare and Paris x
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
My Lily is awful for licking, we call her licking Lil's, as soon as you smooth her she licks your arms hands, sit still long enough and she starts on your feet or legs.....lol.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Oooo sorry Clare, can't help, Mo never licks us.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
A lot of greys do this when they're in kennels as a way to cope with stress, Jobie does it very occasionally (only to his front legs and his bed and occasionally my leg thankfully ), he used to do it all the time but with persistence i can now say 'stop your golloping' and he will apart from that would it be possible to feed her at different times so she doesn't get wound up anticipating it?
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Aww i hope its not stress
We've tried feeding at different times but it doesnt seem to make any difference. We soak her dinner in the afternoons so as soon as it is out and soaking (locked in another room) she starts her antics. Are we doing right by ignoring her demanding behaviour, getting on the sofa etc?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
its probably not stress, just a bad habit maybe have you tried getting up and leaving the room when she starts up, and only feeding her when she's calmed right down? aside from that im not really sure what to suggest.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
its probably not stress, just a bad habit maybe have you tried getting up and leaving the room when she starts up, and only feeding her when she's calmed right down? aside from that im not really sure what to suggest.
The longer i leave it the more wound up she gets!
She never barks but at dinner time we get a very high pitch bark or she whines too! Thanks for trying anyway. I'll persist with the ignorance and see if it gets any better.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
It's probably totally different but Woody does this.

a) he likes the salt on our skin,

b) he likes soap, washing up liquid or moisturiser we have on our skin, and

c) he does it to either lead into a bite or apologise for one.

He's a very odd puppy. I wouldn't mind but his breath honks!

I'm sure she's OK. It's surely just a thing they do.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Has she always done this or is it a new thing since being in boarding kennels when you were away? If it has escalated since then maybe she was worried about when she was going to get fed because of the change in routine etc and the strange surroundings???

Wizard mouths when he gets excited he licks and bites my hand (lightly) for attention particularly if i'm fussing one of the other dogs. Indi never licks ever and greyhounds i have met are never particularly 'licky' so there may be some reason behind it. When i say licky i mean to humans not themselves! When Wizard does this i tell him no and he usually stops but if i'm not about he does lick his leg in the same place over and over sometimes!
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by monkeydonkey View Post
Has she always done this or is it a new thing since being in boarding kennels when you were away? If it has escalated since then maybe she was worried about when she was going to get fed because of the change in routine etc and the strange surroundings???

Wizard mouths when he gets excited he licks and bites my hand (lightly) for attention particularly if i'm fussing one of the other dogs. Indi never licks ever and greyhounds i have met are never particularly 'licky' so there may be some reason behind it. When i say licky i mean to humans not themselves! When Wizard does this i tell him no and he usually stops but if i'm not about he does lick his leg in the same place over and over sometimes!

She only ever does the licking at dinner time, never before walks or if she knows shes going to get a treat or anything so its definately linked to dinner.

As you said i dont think its a particularly greyhound-like trait, Phil never ever licks us.

As for the boarding kennels they have probably not helped at all. She certainly didnt seem to have had a good eperience there and we wont be boarding her again. lessons learnt there i'm afraid. Feel awful for sending her but nothing can do about that now. She has been wanting fuss alot more since she got back too, coming for more cuddles than she did before.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >