Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2006, 11:01 AM

bitch acting aggressively since spaying

dont know if i'm posting this in the right section but here goes..our 21mnth old bitch Taya was spayed on thursday and was feeling understandably down for less than 24 hrs but has now started to 'snarl' at our other bitch Keiko at any and every given opportunity also 'nesting' with all the dogs beds we have around the house(didnt nest before op). She did prior to the operation have a 'snarly/dominance problem with keiko on occasions but this seems to have intensified since the op.we were hoping the spaying would have the opposite effect and things would improve(very early days yetwe know).We have been removing her from the room every time she has behaved like this,but hoping is it just down to her hormones being all over the place since being spayed?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 11:17 AM
No idea really, but it does seem logical that it could be her hormones or discomfort making her snappy.

I just hope it all sorts itself out. Good luck xx
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2006, 11:41 AM
We had aggression problems with one of our bitches and the behaviourist John Rogerson said that spaying can make a bitch more dominant, so in our case he would have left her unspayed if possible as it would make her feel lower in the pack. Don't know if this is the case, but we had great problems with our two, as one always would start on the other for no reason.

What did work was to treat the other dog as top dog by feeding her first etc which did calm things down. Apparently it is the younger dog who should be treat as top dog as this is what would happen in the wild.
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2006, 11:49 AM
we had taya spayed as she was having a season every 3mnths and behaved like she had permanent P.M.T(mostly towards Keiko).will maybe try treating keiko as top dog if things dont improve.i do understand that its very early days yet.By the way keiko has also been spayed
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Could well be that spaying her has brought on a phantom preganacy. All hormonal I am afraid. It will wear off, but in the meantime be extra vigilant. Take all toys away, cut out red meat and give her slightly more exercise (to take her mind off it). This happened to one of Dobies years ago, on a good note, now she is spayed there won't be any more phantoms. By the way, my Elsa had NEVER had a phantom before.
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2006, 03:46 PM
thanx for your input,i'm keeping my fingers crossed itll be a passing phase.Shes got a vets check up tomorrow so i'll mention it to them and keep you informed.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Its a big op to have and a lot of changes are taking place. I would give time to see if things settle down. May be some changes in pack too.

Hope she is more her self soon.

Min xxxxx
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Good luck - I would definitely ask the vet what they would suggest
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2006, 06:19 PM
hi huskadie if your bitch was only spayed on Thursday (little more than two days ago ) she will no doubt be feeling sore and confused ..under the circumstances I would probably snarl at anyone that came near me..

I would ignore the behavior and give her time to settle down before you form any opinions about her behavior
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
hi huskadie if your bitch was only spayed on Thursday (little more than two days ago ) she will no doubt be feeling sore and confused ..under the circumstances I would probably snarl at anyone that came near me..

I would ignore the behavior and give her time to settle down before you form any opinions about her behavior

Agree 100%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >