Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 11:07 PM

Bladder control...

I wasn't sure what section to put this in, so I hope here is ok

At what age do pups get bladder control?

I know Arrow is still really young, but we have been wondering about this. He seems to be able to hold his bladder for a good while during the night, he tends to go in his crate about 12am and then doesn't wake me up until between 6 - 7am (he is crated in my bedroom)...

During the day though, he pees soooo much... I take him out regularly, but sometimes he will be out and then do the toilet within 5 minutes of coming in. He does seem to know where he is meant to go though, and he will usually do a pee within a minute of being taken outside.

It isn't something I am worried/stressing over etc, because I know he is still young and it takes time to learn. It is just a general wondering

Also, what generally gains control first, pees or poos? I am sure I heard it was poos, but Jake was pees (he had terrible diarrhoea though due to worms, so I put that down to that).
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I was told not to expect 100% clean until 6 months - but ben was better before that

Dont remember when they actually start realising they need to go with enough time to actually get outside in time but it wont be that long really

Think its usually poo just because you get a bit more warning from them and hopefully enough time to get them outside
But it can be pee if you are really vigalent cos they do so much more of them - so more chances to reward I guess (but mroe chances for accidents really)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Boy dogs! They never stop 'peeing' lol! It's why I don't want one!

Jokes aside - I've never had a problem with house training a dog sticking to the mantra of

Take them outside ...
Every time they wake up
Every time they eat or drink
Every time they get excited
And, if they are not doing any of those things
Take them out every 2hrs minimum anyway

Gruelling to start with but works like magic. They just don't want to 'go' anywhere but outside.

Did the same for little Bella (the tiniest dog I've ever owned) and was concerned that her bladder was probably only as big as a walnut lol!

She now goes a good 10 hrs overnight (sometimes longer - but boy does she make up for it when we DO get outside - she pees for Europe!)

She is taken out 3 times a day and NEVER has any 'accidents' indoors. And is always able to 'wait' while I get some clothes on and gather some stuff together etc.

She rarely 'tells me' she needs to go out. Because she is taken out so regularly. But when she does need to - she will stand by the door and just LOOK AT ME!

Can't really say about BOY dogs coz I've never wanted one nor owned one! And one of the reasons why is, having lived adjacent to beaches for the last 20 yrs - I don't wanna be one of those dog owners whose dog cocks their leg over peoples belongings on the beach or up their front gate or right outside their door or waddever - lol!

Gals just don't do that!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I was told not to expect 100% clean until 6 months - but ben was better before that

Dont remember when they actually start realising they need to go with enough time to actually get outside in time but it wont be that long really

Think its usually poo just because you get a bit more warning from them and hopefully enough time to get them outside
But it can be pee if you are really vigalent cos they do so much more of them - so more chances to reward I guess (but mroe chances for accidents really)
Yeah, I heard the 6 months too but Jake was well before that. He got the hang of peeing outside within a matter of days, and then once his worms were cleared up and the diarrhoea stopped, it was only a matter of days for him to get the hang of them too.

The trouble I think with Arrow is, that he does seem to know that he is meant to go outside... but, I don't think he quite knows how to tell us he wants out... I can't remember what we did with Jake, but he just knew to run to the door... Arrow is still young though, so it might just take a wee bit longer with him

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Boy dogs! They never stop 'peeing' lol! It's why I don't want one!

Jokes aside - I've never had a problem with house training a dog sticking to the mantra of

Take them outside ...
Every time they wake up
Every time they eat or drink
Every time they get excited
And, if they are not doing any of those things
Take them out every 2hrs minimum anyway

Gruelling to start with but works like magic. They just don't want to 'go' anywhere but outside.

Did the same for little Bella (the tiniest dog I've ever owned) and was concerned that her bladder was probably only as big as a walnut lol!

She now goes a good 10 hrs overnight (sometimes longer - but boy does she make up for it when we DO get outside - she pees for Europe!)

She is taken out 3 times a day and NEVER has any 'accidents' indoors. And is always able to 'wait' while I get some clothes on and gather some stuff together etc.

She rarely 'tells me' she needs to go out. Because she is taken out so regularly. But when she does need to - she will stand by the door and just LOOK AT ME!

Can't really say about BOY dogs coz I've never wanted one nor owned one! And one of the reasons why is, having lived adjacent to beaches for the last 20 yrs - I don't wanna be one of those dog owners whose dog cocks their leg over peoples belongings on the beach or up their front gate or right outside their door or waddever - lol!

Gals just don't do that!
Arrow doesn't stop peeing!

Jake was fast, and quite easy, to house train... I'm not sure if it is my memory but I don't remember him peeing anywhere near as much

If Jake wants out, he runs to the door... and if we aren't in the kitchen there (where the door is) then he will slap me with his paw Then I know he wants out...
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Samson used to paw at my keys that were in the keyhole on the back door, now he cries or comes back through to look at us, Sasha pops to the door but sits there in silence until we notice she's dissapeared but her control is much better than his was, when he needed a wee he needed it NOW.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Never expect much before 6 months & some can take longer. It all comes together tho - eventually

NoW kittens, you bring them home show them the litter tray by setting them in it & theyre house trained immediately

Pups all vary. Weve had them house trained in 10 days & others it takes up to six months. No two are ever the same