Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Kennel Cough

OH NO!!!!!!! I think my Monty has picked up kennel cough and i am gutted in case it's my fault (living and work conditions)

I am told it is doing the rounds again but wonder if anyone else has it round there area.

Off to the supermarket/chemist in the morning when i finish work to get some Benylin for him.

Hopefully if it is, then it will clear quite quick - my poor boy wasn't allowed to interact with his mates today in case he was contagious - poor wee boy
gsd lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2010, 08:45 PM
kai got that a couple of years ago from her training classes it spread threw the whole class because a silly man didnt know his dog had it and brung his dog along to the class and half the dogs got it its not your fault. it does have to be treated with antibiotics from the vet tho or so my vet told me once she had a course of them she was back to her old self in no time. i would go see your vet hope he gets better soon x
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
OH NO!!!!!!! I think my Monty has picked up kennel cough and i am gutted in case it's my fault (living and work conditions)

I am told it is doing the rounds again but wonder if anyone else has it round there area.

Off to the supermarket/chemist in the morning when i finish work to get some Benylin for him.

Hopefully if it is, then it will clear quite quick - my poor boy wasn't allowed to interact with his mates today in case he was contagious - poor wee boy
Childrens Benylin is the one to get, and if he's racking real bad, a little honey on the tongue helps soothe a sore throat. It's not a deadly disease in an ordinarily healthy dog.....just a damn nuisance....oh, and a contagious one lol I doubt it is your fault, it's airborne and can spread like wild fire.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by gsd lover View Post
kai got that a couple of years ago from her training classes it spread threw the whole class because a silly man didnt know his dog had it and brung his dog along to the class and half the dogs got it its not your fault. it does have to be treated with antibiotics from the vet tho or so my vet told me once she had a course of them she was back to her old self in no time. i would go see your vet hope he gets better soon x
That's not entirely correct about treating with antibiotics...those are when and if secondary infection arises.
gsd lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
That's not entirely correct about treating with antibiotics...those are when and if secondary infection arises.
really? hmm thats what the vet suggested for kai and it was the first and only time she had it maybe he felt she needed them thanx for clearing that up tho sorry for wrong advice just what i knew from my experence.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey, cheers

Luckily Monts is a raving hyper muppet so it's just a bug bear. Forgot about the honey - thanks

It's going to be a long 5 days without him interacting with any other dogs - bang goes our training day tomorrow
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
Hey, cheers

Luckily Monts is a raving hyper muppet so it's just a bug bear. Forgot about the honey - thanks

It's going to be a long 5 days without him interacting with any other dogs - bang goes our training day tomorrow
5 days Try nearer 3 weeks if you are going to be correct!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 02:13 AM
5 days is the amount of time he is more likely to be contagious. It can take 3 weeks or longer for the symptoms to actually disappear from the dog itself.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 05:33 AM
It will depend on how long he is coughing for as to how long he is contagious, but he will definetly be contagious much longer than 5 days.
He should not go near other dogs for at least a week after all coughing and symptoms have passed.
People who get thier dogs back out too quickly are the ones that pass it on and thats more than likely why your boy has it because someone was too selfish to confine thier own dog long enough.
mandyB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2010, 06:45 PM
All three of my dogs have been down with KC, 2 have been confined to home for 3 weeks and the other has another week to go as he was coughing for longer. I was advised by the vet not to take them out until at least 1 week after the last cough.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >