Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 06:14 PM

Important dog food question!

I hope someone can help me. I have been using a certain type of dog food for 8 years and today I have read on the PETA website that this food is tested on dogs and cats in the most appalling way and that they are treated badly and left in horrendous conditions.
I wasn't looking for this article, I just stumbled upon it when I wanted to go on the dog food company's website.
It has really upset me and I just want to know how true it is and also what are the alternative good dry dog foods available that don't involve experiments on dogs and cats.
I purposely haven't named it as I'm not sure of the legality of it and I don't want this website to have any problems with me naming it as I don't know how true it is.
If anyone wants to know which brand I'm talking about, please send me a personal message with any advice you may have. Thanks.
AKitaChi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-09-2008, 06:47 PM
From articles & video's I have seen I am afraid to tell you it is true. Iams/Eukanuba being probably the worst. It's horrible.
As far as I have managed to find out Burns & Arden Grange & Skinners Range are a few good dry foods that don't do animal testing. I feed Burns.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 07:10 PM
The Truth about PETA

The research was not carried out by IAMS, the research was part of research being done by an Independant research lab, that was partly funded by IAMS & when the type of research was discovered the funded ceased. This is not new & was research done a good few years ago

PETA have only been anti IAMS since they were taken over & become part of the Proctor & Gamble empire

MARS carries out animal research & they own Pedigree, James Well Beloved Royal Canin, & several other dog & cat food firms.

Pedigree have their own dog & cat research facility in the UK
Eiffel
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Again choosing not to go with a corporation is another benefit of feeding raw food to your pet. Go to [link removed] don't buy their patties, but their supplements are great & you can learn what & how to feed your dog the diet he/she deserves!
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I don't know about the others, however I did specifically write to James WellBeloved to check their policy and this is their reply:

Dear Michelle

In response to your email regarding Animal Testing.

We would like to assure that we undertake no testing on animals other than that which is concerned with the palatability of our foods.

Much of our palatability testing takes place on pets owned by members of staff at home, the tests involve the animals concerned in trying a number of different and tasty foods, they normally enjoy the tests very much!

During the palatability tests, we take scientific measurements concerned with the quantities eaten and the speed and eagerness of eating. We also make subsequent analyses of naturally excreted stool and urine to ensure that our foods are as healthy as possible, and these are the only scientific measurements that we undertake.

We are a company of animal lovers and most of our staff have pets themselves. We view the welfare and happiness of pets as being of the greatest importance.

I hope this helps to ease your concerns.

Many thanks for your enquiry and if we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Sue Greenwood VN
Technical Helpline Advisor
Crown Pet Foods Ltd
malamutes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I only feed RAW... billinhurst way... I dont want to put chemicals in my dogs belly.... So I feed RAW I was taught this by another Malamute owner, an also my VET. I feed chicken wings, liver, hearts, veges pulped.... fruit freely...chicken carcus... nothing cooked.. ALL raw.. fish too... my dogs, do solid poos, they dont smell, farts !!! dont stink... they have great coats, and great teeth... in the natural world our dogs would not get processed food they hunt in packs, so they eat RAW... try feeding this, but do read about it first, ask your VET you will never look back.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I also feed raw, and I agree it's the best food for our canines - however that wasn't really the question!

Originally Posted by malamutes View Post
..... ask your VET you will never look back.
Ummmm ..... I think it would have to be a very open-minded vet - most vets I've spoken to (and speaking to other raw feeders also) the response is fairly consistent ..... vets on the whole do not agree with raw as their heads have been filled with the nonsense propaganda from the pet food companies who coincidentally usually sponsor the majority of the vet school lectures on nutrition.

When I asked my vet to look at some papers on rawfeeding he said "I only read the nutritional advice provided by the food manufacturers"

So, these days I actually withhold diet information from my vet!
malamutes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2008, 08:04 PM
JUST TRYING to offer an alternative, no runny poos... great healthy dogs... my VET is good.. maybe some are no so educated... but I am glad I change to BARF/RAW my dogs eat straight from the freezer, do defrost.. just chomp away...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Yes many petfood firms test on animals. They may also be subsidiaries of other corporations which test on animals. There are vested interests on all sides so the only way to find an ethical source is the research each one yourself, I`m afraid. Contact the manufacturers and ask them.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I think this document will answer most of your questions - it goes through each brand name and details what (if any) testing they do and how they do it.

http://www.buav.org/pdf/H1PetFood.pdf