0.2% Difference Between Domestic Dog DNA & Grey Wolf DNA

Anyone seen this on the BBC Website?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4965516.stm

Interesting reading.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2006, 02:45 PM
it's interesting isn't it. Especially when you get into hybrids and crossing of species. There is a 5% difference between chimps and us... But then what's a species! Simply a name for humans to use...
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Yep, interesting little article. My understanding is that Canis Familiaris is sometimes dropped in favour of Canis Lupus Familiaris in recognition of the really tiny difference.

I often call Jake my little wolf. OK, his ears are a bit floppy, coat's too short and he's the wrong colour. Oh, and he's a daft ******! That's probably a bit more than 0.2% physical differences eh?
Mutley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2006, 07:28 PM
A very interesting read!

0.2% Domestic Dog to Wolf
4% Coyote to Domestic Dog

This I found interesting! Could anyone explain this further? Does this mean that a Dog is more Wolf than a Coyote? Forgive me if this seems a dumb question but I'm not to good at statistics.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes it does mean that the dog is closer to the wolf than the coyote is. The wolf and coyote descended from a common ancestor whereas the dog descended directly from the wolf.

The info in the link is a bit misleading though. It says 0.2% difference in DNA, it should say 0.2% difference in mitochondrial DNA. mtDNA is used in these studies as it provides the most efficient method of studying descent because it is passed down the female line more or less unchanged ie it doesn't go through the process of recombination where chromosomes exchange sections of DNA during meiosis.

It isn't though known to have any influence on genotype. The DNA that does this is the nuclear DNA where there are far more differences found. But one of the later studies (Ostrander et al) found there to be more differences between some dog breeds than between the wolf and some breeds.
Mutley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for that Pod,

I thought that was what it meant but wasn't quite sure!
Just suprised that the Coyote isn't more closely related. Just goes to show that not everything is always what is seems!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-05-2006, 08:17 PM
what ever the difference is between the wolf and the domestic pet i will still have them around.
i was surprised how low the figure is though.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Yes but remember it's the small things in life that make a difference!