Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jonlucpicard
New Member!
Male 

27-04-2010, 09:24 AM

Kennel cough

Hi, 2 weeks back i adopted a 10 month old dog named Bob from a local dogs home. The day after bringing Bob home he stated sneezing and coughing, especially when he's walking or excited.
I phoned the dogs home and was told that it could be kennel cough but there was no point treating Bob unless he was coughing up mucus or had mucus coming from his nose.
The next day Bob seemed to be getting worse so i decided to seek advice from a vet. The vet confirmed it was kennel cough and prescribed a 10 day course of antibiotics, 2 tablets a day.
Whilst taking the antibiotics Bobs symptoms stopped, he finished the course 2 days ago and this morning the symptoms are back.
I have read up on kennel cough on various websites and i am unsure as to what to do next.
Should i take him back to the vets or will the kennel cough run its course?
Bob is eating well and is full of energy and does not appear to be distressed by the symptoms.
Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers Jon
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Hi Jonlucpicard, and first of all try not to worry because your dog seems to be coping well with his kennel cough, and generally unless it is a very young puppy or an old dog or sometimes very big dogs there is nothing to worry about.

Because it is a virus, the antibiotics will not completely clear it up - they just help to clear any bacterial infection - BUT as the cough has now become worse again then another course is probably required and you need to go back to your vet.

The only cause for real worry is if your dog becomes listless and off his food.

p.s. I would imagine that your vet told you not to walk your dog where others go....it is of course highly infectious
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi Jon good post by Bitkin , Kennel Cough can cause problems with small puppies and elderly or sick dogs but with most dogs it isn't that bad and will get better after a couple of weeks.
If your dog is coughing badly as with humans moistening the throat can help so try a little honey in warm water.
Should your dog has trouble breathing or you are at all worried then of course you need to see the vet again.
mariasmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 11:10 PM
i would take him back to the vets, like us sometimes 2 courses of anti biotics may be needed
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Michael need two lots of antibiotics, suki only one.
ATD x
jonlucpicard
New Member!
Male 

28-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys, Bob seems better this morning and hasn't coughed or sneezed at all.
I will see how is today and then decide to take him to the vets or not.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I've had 7 out of my 9 with it over the last few weeks thanks to my landlady deciding it was in her best interest not to tell me she had kennel cough then kindly putting her most affected dogs in the run next to the yard where my lot are.
Most did not require treatment but it is distressing to watch. My landlady is in for a shock when my rent is due!!
Becky