Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Trusting people with a new puppy

thinking ahead to when im living on my own (this seems to be coming closer and closer as im now on the council list and have a good chance of getting a house, also i already know Im allowed another dog, after talking to the council for my area)

majority of you know im after a larger breed, bit unsure as of what yet, i would still like my weimaraner but dont think it would be fair on the breed to have one of those at the minute... but thats another issue.

this is what im writing to ask.. while having a small puppy, its going to need someone during the day to let it out to toilet etc and be fed. (i only work evenings at the minute, but may take on more hours if i really need to for bills etc)

my question is how to trust people with your puppy? im moving to an area where there is alot of family who are the sort of family who will help out with absolutely anything you need, and the favour is returned.

i have no problems with knowing my puppy can be let out to toilet and things as there are family members who would have a spare set of keys.. but this is my question. the person who pops in to let the puppy out, feed it lunch if im not there etc, do i leave it at that? let them play in the garden with him/her. or do i let them walk them?

what would you do? i think even though the puppy would enjoy and could do with a walk, that i wouldnt want to trust anyone else taking out my dog when socialization is so important and it only takes one bad experience to cause so many issues..

so would you be happy with someone coming in, playing with the puppy in the garden etc, instead of taking it for a walk, or would you be fine with someone walking your dog without you being there?

i know, questions questions
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-04-2012, 03:32 PM
there like my kids, i look for the same things in a sitter.i do my home work and investigate before i aproch someone who will sit for kids and dogs.its my parents i trust the most for sure.both my ,kids and dogs.otherwise you would have to be a pro or someone who has good refferences,to be checked, experience is a must...its hard to let go as well and hope someone will do as good of a job as you would,at the very least.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2012, 03:35 PM
if you are unsure, why don't you go with them for the first few walks, and if needs be, give them pointers on how you would like specific things to be done?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
I only trust one person to walk the dogs- thats my OH, and even then I only trust him to walk sadie ON lead...I wont let him walk the collies.

The only people I would ask to come and let a pup of mine out would be family members/good friends (I guess it I am restricted as there are only a handful of people my GSD will let in the house without me).

If I had to ask a neighbour and especially for a puppy I would not ask them to take it for a walk.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes I'd trust a professional person with my puppy -- why wouldn't I? most pet sitters/dog walkers have websites. Do some research, get some recommendations, contact the one(s) you like the look of and then arrange a meeting.

I'd cross that bridge when I came to it rather than worry about it now. My friend has been on the council house waiting list for 5 years...
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 03:58 PM
yeah i know i could be on the list for a while, but then again it depends, i came close to a property i bid on, and my star rating is due to go up again soon due to some changed circumstances..

depending on money i could get a professional in, but more than likely it will be family, and most probably my step mum, or stepsister. they both have dogs so both know what they are doing... we will see, just wondered what other people do in that situation.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Will you be eligible for a house? I thought as a single person you would just get a one bed flat?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Will you be eligible for a house? I thought as a single person you would just get a one bed flat?
no im entitled to a house, when i filled in the forms i put down what type of house i wanted. im eligible to bid on anything from a 1 bed flat to a 2 bed house.. doesnt mean i would get the 2 bed house (at the minute) as it generally goes to the person with the higher star rating.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
with the breeds i have now?.. nope no dog walker im afraid,i just wouldn't/couldn't(not even my ex,when he wasnt an ex lol),im lucky though,i have a very good friend that my dogs adore who is also a dog walker...i only trust her(and she is only one of two people i think Tupac would let in the house without me there),but only call on her if i am desperate ...although she does ask for certain members of 'team asbo' to have sleep overs she must be mad!

when orla was a puppy i used to drop her off at a pet sitter(that was a client) until my boss decided she could come to work...i think it was only a matter of a couple of months untill he caved in
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 06:03 PM
I hate anyone walking my dogs, even the OH I think I am a bit SA . If I was you I would really have to trust that person who you get in be it family, friend or professional and I would go with them a few times to make sure I was happy with the way they did things.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >