Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 06:19 PM

My pony *with pictures*

Be warned- This will be a bit of a soppy post!

For those of you who don't know I currently own a Appaloosa X Cob, who is approx 21 years young (read as mentally about 3! ), whom I got not long after my mum died. He now excels at Show jumping, and LOVES Cross Country, dressage however isn't our strongest point as we are adrenaline junkies ... Spock isn't brilliant at hacking out on his own either, and in the past I have been rammed into metal stair cases, thrown into trees, been thrown off by his napping/spinning etc etc However he has gotten much much better.

Due to a few things I haven't ridden much these last few weeks, but as I was on short shift at work, I decided afterwards to head down and hack out. In short today he was fantastic; Despite several men out combining, stacking bales of straw, fixing tractors and trailers and even a massive lawn mower which was incredibly close and noisy he carried on going- No spinning, no bucking, no jogging

Almost this time 7 years ago, my horse went off with a severe injury, and I was told he may not come sound and chances of being PTS were very high, but he bounced back. Despte all the ups and downs over the years if it hadn't been for my spotted monster I don't think I would be here today...here he is:

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Oh how gorgeous is heeeee, I love appaloosas, along with cobs of course! That's fantastic that he settled down on today's hack let's hope it stays this way for you, coz there's nothing worse than a spooky horse who's trying to bury you somewhere! I had that with my ID/tb but I found him much quieter during the summer months too, but that could be because he was living out, they kind of get a lot more relaxed don't you think?

He's got a good jump in him too, and I was like you, a real adrenalin junkie, but I'm afraid 2'9" was my maximum when careering around a x-country or a sponsored ride flat out lol! Mine had a really dirty stop in him though, especially at black fences, so they knew me well at our local Casualty (nearly lost a leg one time after a nasty fall!).

I like a bit of spirit in a horse though, I used to love those bucks when I first set off in a canter, everybody used to laugh and wonder how the heck I stayed on, but they were fun bucks, they weren't nasty, and I can always sit out the meanest buck, but when it comes to a rear with a spin thrown in that's a different story! So glad you survived Spock's previous antics, and I hope in his old age, he might have decided to settle down a bit, but you'll know if he has when the winter comes methinks! He's a lovely, lovely boy, enjoy him and now you can relax on him out on his own, it'll just get better
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Awww Thank you!

Oooh he definately has a dirty stop on him too LOL! Thankfully it is a rare occurance too these days! I think if it hadn't been for his injury I would have done BE Eventing on him, but it wasn't fair to push him. Having said that he can quite happily pop 1m15 at home! And jumped the 5ft field fencing in the past!!!

Can't beat the feeling of galloping across a stubble field, and then approaching the end when you soon realised the brakes are a little errrm.... rusty?! I don't get to compete much these days due to lack of transport but even after a 2 year break from SJ, came back into it this year with the oldest horse and got 3rd! Woo!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Really fantastic set of photos. Spock is such a handsome boy - and sounds a lot of fun too Really pleased he appears to be settling down a bit in his more mature years, and long may it continue Did you get the problem with his sheath sorted out?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately vet cleaned him up and took swabs as she was worried about the growth on his sheath (always had them)... and they have turned out to be cancerous but haven't really changed (well not that I am aware of) in the time I have had him, and so I have to make sure I keep his sheath clean. The growth appears to be rubbing when he drops his 'bits' causing the irritation. Not much else I can do otherwise but vet said that could be why he has struggled keeping weight on over winter (Always had the opposite problem of keeping it off!!!) and it took ages for him to put it back on, but thats partly due to age aswell. But so long as he is happy in himself, I am happy!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Poor boy.

Very impressed with the riding! I'm a novice (only riding for about 5 years) who went through a total lack of confidence last year, and still have my moments! Made even more frustrating because I had started to learn to jump, which I loved!!

Helen
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Fab to see Spock in action again Celina..he's lovely!
JSR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2011, 02:41 PM
He's beautiful!! My friend has a appy x cob and she's mad as a box of frogs (horse not friend...well friend is too actually!!).

I'm same as you dressage leaves me cold, tried 2 tests...first one Kane did wall of death around the school when I asked for 'collected canter' and then farted in the judges faces!!! Lol!! Next time he walked in and turned into a RDA pony and wouldn't trot let alone canter!!! The judge said 'please come again you are always guaranteed to make me laugh'..which is not what you want to hear!!!

Nothing like a horse to make the world right though is there? I don't know where I'd be without my lad.