Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizziblonde
New Member!
Female 

21-05-2008, 05:03 PM

treatment for allergies????

hi guys new here so sorry if simular post has been put up before..!
Problem! grumpy rottie... constantly itching her ears chewing her feet and a spotty/ lumpy chin?? vet suggested it was an allergy. she also has narrow ear canals... anyone experianced anything simular???? and got any suggestions?
as we are unable to pin point anything in particular that is setting her off

thanx in advance..xx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 05:27 PM
For relief try Piriton, not the new non drowsy, or a genetic equivalent. The vet will give you the dose required but it is usually about 1 tablet per 8 kg. all required tablets given in one dose each day.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:01 PM
We had this with a labrador. We found that keeping her ears clean with Leo Ear Cleaner helped and washing her feet daily and applying Sudocrem (nappy rash cream) to her feet mornign and night. It was a bit of a nuisance but it meant we didn't have to listen to her slurping her feet all night when we were trying to sleep. We used normal Johnsons baby shampoo to bath her and for washing her feet. Through summer when her allergies were at their worst she had to be bathed once a fortnight sometimes once a week just to remove the irritants.

Hope this helps.

Heidi
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Have you looked at her diet, to see if there is something in it causing her to be itchi?
daycare4dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
Have you looked at her diet, to see if there is something in it causing her to be itchi?
hi there,
a dogs diet is one of the most common problems when it comes to allergies. most diets contain beef, wheat, dairy products and soya which some dogs are allergic to and their problems can be shown in many ways, like the spots under your dogs chin and the itchyness.

have you had a look at any other dog food suitable for your dog? i feed my puppy on burns pet nutrition which is hypo-allergenic and 100% natural dog food and doesnt contain the above ingredients that some dogs are allergic to. you should have a look, you dog may benefit from a change in diet and i personally think this food is the way to go.

hope this helps!
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Hiya, my dog used to get these symptons like your dog in the end we found out it was due to nettles! she used to chase rabbits and would go through nettles and would be extremly iritated after. we gave her piriton and it worked great -- we dont take her where there are nettles now!!
ali5
New Member!
Female 

21-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Our Lab, Milly, has all your symptoms and we have gone down the allergy testing route. Allergies found were mostly environmental and also some meats.

She takes 4 Piriton tabs per day, two in morning, one in afternoon, one in evening. She has aurizon drops for ears once weekly, prescribed ear cleaner once a week and a weekly shampoo. we have also cut out meats in diet and changed to wafcol hypoallergenic - salmon and potato. I know the above sounds OTT but the difference in her is amazing.

Good luck in trying to find out what the problems are. A process of elimination is required but please persevere - its worth it in the end.

Ali & Milly
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 12:02 AM
I have an atopic dog, he has severe adverse reactions to fish and meat protiens, the only meat he can tolerate is Duck, he is also allergic to dust mites, so his problems occur all year round and arent seasonal. You could have the allergy testing for enviromental allergans both outsied the house ie pollen and common household agents. For diet it would need to be a process of elimination. What you would need to do is feed a protien source the dog as not eaten before and a carb source such as rice. Feed for a min of 12 weeks, if no reaction at all to the food add 1 item at a time again for a 12 week period.
In my dogs case anti histamines dont work they have tried various types upto 8mg 3x a day. He was also on the Atopica for 9mths but eventualy could no longer tollerate. He continues with anti-biotic therapy and several baths a week, with ears cleaned with a non alcohol ear cleaner or salt water every other day. Apart from the Atopica , other options would be vacines or steroids to relieve the itching.
But without testing you wont know what your dog is allergic to.
What are you feeding, remember chicken is one of the protien sources that dogs are more likely to be allergic to, in the top 10 allergies.
dizziblonde
New Member!
Female 

22-05-2008, 02:30 PM
dog food??? neva thought of that!would this be why she's so skinny for a rottie?? why she gets bad diorhea when i filled her kong with meaty treats???

also i forgot to mention i have a little norfolk terrier X jack russell who is best friends with the rottie and is also always licking her sore bits!! he thinks he is doing her a favour but i'm sure its not helping!!
off to petcity to look at dog food tonight!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 05:21 PM
My last GSD was like this - with a combination of treatments we got it under control - for her ears we used Stronghold spot-on, which kills mites. For her skin we put her on Burns chicken & rice plus raw chicken wings (no additives) She was allergic to food colourings so no shop-bought treats - I cooked liver and cut it up for training. When we lived out in the country our (French) vet also gave her a long-lasting steroid injection for grass allergies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >