View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2012, 01:04 AM

Is rescuing only because the dogs cost less right or wrong.??

Is rescuing only because the dogs cost less right or wrong??
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 01:14 AM
I don't think so, at the end of the day, they are giving a dog a forever home rather than contributing to shelters? I'd rather someone rehome a pet than drop one off ! And it is cheaper, for many animals, especially if they are pre-neutered and vacced.... from rabbits to dogs.... Sometimes it just makes sense! ^.^
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 01:31 AM
I think provided the dog is going to a good home where it will be loved it doesn't matter if the reason behind rescuing it was cost related or not.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Strange, the only dog I have ever payed for is Grey my rescue, the only cats I have ever payed for are rescue cats. Over here X breads arent worth anything so are normally just given away before vacs and chip.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I'd feel uncomfortable with it if it was the ONLY reason someone chose a rescue dog. Some rescues need a lot if effort, time and understanding and I can imagine these dogs will not end up in the right home if that person has selected a dog purely because it's "the cheap option". I think it says a lot about that persons attitude towards that animals.

Of course cost is something which affects all of us, I have no problem with someone considering money in amongst other factors. But that as the sole reason for taking on a rescue? Doesn't sit well with me.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:50 AM
In a black and white world, I'd say it was wrong. But someone initially spurred on to rescue by a monetary decision could become someone converted by the personality/challenge of a rescue dog and go on to rescue/encourage others to rescue in the future, so a "wrong" POV could become a "right" one.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
I never feel totally comfortable if the main reason for getting a particular dog or breed from rescue is because it is the cheaper option I have had people in the past calling me about GSDs we have in breed rescue and sounding surprised that they have to give a donation at all and then not being interested. I am glad to see the back of those people to be honest.

As Moon'sMum has said, there is nothing wrong with it being ONE of the factors of deciding where to get a dog from, but if it is the sole reason then it is wrong imo.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
I think it would be very wrong for cost to be the deciding factor. Choosing to take on a rescue dog, one who may have issues of its own, is a commitment in itself!
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'd feel uncomfortable with it if it was the ONLY reason someone chose a rescue dog. Some rescues need a lot if effort, time and understanding and I can imagine these dogs will not end up in the right home if that person has selected a dog purely because it's "the cheap option". I think it says a lot about that persons attitude towards that animals.

Of course cost is something which affects all of us, I have no problem with someone considering money in amongst other factors. But that as the sole reason for taking on a rescue? Doesn't sit well with me.
This! Thank you Moon's Mum - you said it all for me
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
It isn`t. Really it isn`t. You can get Rescue dogs that cost £300 and dogs from amateur breeders for £90.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »