Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 08:50 PM

Could do with some ideas

Hi all could do with a few ideas, as a lot of you know, i have Fudge who is probably a sprollie x with a staffie, he has a number of medical issues, but i suppose the worst one is, his spine is fused which presses on his spinal cord this means his exercise is severely limited and to be honest he probably only gets 1 good walk a week, purely because it takes him such a long time to recover after, i have swapped him on to CSJ old champ which he only gets a small amount of but i would still like him leaner, does anyone have any suggestion for a food that may get some weight off him, because being overweight is no good for him in his condition either
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I found Chappie complete to be the only food ever to get weight off Jed, that was after trying various expensive 'light' foods. His weight is something i've been battling with for 6 years and i've often considered putting him back on Chappie to get the weight off him again.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Burns is a food that is often linked to weightloss - often in a negative light but I know many recommend it for a 'diet' food as it's low in oil and does seem to help shift the lbs.
Feeding less and bulking out his meals with veg could help too. Would hydrotherapy be an option for some exercise?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Burns is a food that is often linked to weightloss - often in a negative light but I know many recommend it for a 'diet' food as it's low in oil and does seem to help shift the lbs.
Feeding less and bulking out his meals with veg could help too. Would hydrotherapy be an option for some exercise?
That is what I have done with Pereg, who gained nearly 4kg in just under six months due to medication and a lessening in exercise due to her condition. I tried the "Lite" and "Diet" foods [she had been on kibble] but was also in the process of changing her to raw.

It was not until I started weighing her food, and increasing the amount of vegetables to bulk her meals while decreasing the meat [or kibble if I give her that], that she started losing weight. So far 1.5kg but she is definitely a lot slimmer, and hopefully at her next weigh-in she will have lost the same.

The kibble that I finally settled on is Canine Caviar [an American brand], but she only has that to make sure that she will eat it in an emergency, as raw seems to suit her and satiate her better.

It also helps that she loves vegetables, both raw as a snack or lightly steamed!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 07:11 AM
thanks for the comments, we've tried hydrotherapy and to be honest he hates it so much i won't put him through the stress, may try bulking out with veg, he was on burns for a while and did really well, may go back to it
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 07:19 AM
I always recommend Luaths to customers who want weight off their dogs. It's similar to Burns and I've compared it to RC diet food and it's much lower in fat and much cheaper with better quality ingredients.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I always recommend Luaths to customers who want weight off their dogs. It's similar to Burns and I've compared it to RC diet food and it's much lower in fat and much cheaper with better quality ingredients.
is this available on line?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
is this available on line?
yes it's at http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Id question bulking a dogs food out with veg.

Their is very little nutritional value in veg anyway wheather it be cooked(steamed) or blitzed. So I guess I can see the theory behind bulking a dogs food out with veg.

You could also give him a tummy upset feeding extra veg.

Would the extra veg not unbalance the dry/wet food anyway?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Id question bulking a dogs food out with veg.

Their is very little nutritional value in veg anyway wheather it be cooked(steamed) or blitzed. So I guess I can see the theory behind bulking a dogs food out with veg.

You could also give him a tummy upset feeding extra veg.

Would the extra veg not unbalance the dry/wet food anyway?
not him he has a cast iron stomach, to be honest it doesn't need to have nutritional value, it just needs to fill his stomach, it is far more damaging to him to be overweight with his condition, but i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, he simply can't have enough exercise to out weigh his food intake, if he did he would eat practically nothing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >