Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Had Concerns

So I have rang the RSPCA (just) to ask them to check on a small SBT bitch which looks about 6 months plus, as I have concerns over her living conditions.
I hope they do and I haven't got to go to the trouble of ringing Inspectors myself.
I noticed her yesterday as I walked over to the allotments. The owner has built a pen but it is on the side of the house quite visable from the front, where she could get pinched from. Also (although she is being fed) she is plodding around in mud and poo, which today is very frozen, there seems to be a square hole in the side of the house, perhaps where one would keep a dustbin and she appears to be sleeping in there, as I deliberately went for a walk last night with Skye and Bruce to look if she was still out (which she was) there is a door on it, but not attached only leaning over the hole, as it was so cold last night, and not alot better today I have reported it.
I am hoping it is just abit of education they need, but with her short close fur and the drop in tempertures she (IMO) can not stay living there, her feet must be frozen

I have given all my details so hopefully they will go and check it.......I'll let you know
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Ah poor little thing Mine live outside but have rubber matting and shavings down and in this extra cold weather they have straw to burrow in as well, and they have really thick dense coats. People just don't seem to understand that if you keep your dogs outside they need to be well insulated against winter weather and wet conditions. The other thing is I up their food as they need more calories to keep warm, I Hope the RSPCA sorts them out promptly but from my experiences with them I wouldn't hold my breath
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Ah poor little thing Mine live outside but have rubber matting and shavings down and in this extra cold weather they have straw to burrow in as well, and they have really thick dense coats. People just don't seem to understand that if you keep your dogs outside they need to be well insulated against winter weather and wet conditions. The other thing is I up their food as they need more calories to keep warm, I Hope the RSPCA sorts them out promptly but from my experiences with them I wouldn't hold my breath
I know what you mean about that, I used to work for them and do have the Chief Inspectors number, but I only ring that if it goes on without being checked to long. Hopefully I won't have to use it this time, have to go through the proper channels first Yesterday the weather was warmer, but this morning I checked on her as we passed in the taxi (school run) and she was dithering
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Well done - lets hope the RSPCA do go and see them and these people improve the poor girl's living conditions
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-01-2009, 10:21 AM
You know I would like to put the owners out there without any proper bedding in just their undies and see how they coped. If she is dithering then it is extremely likely there is inadequate, if any, bedding, and like you say with a fine coat she has no chance If I am starting a dog living outside which has not been bred outside I always wait till the summer, often they are a lot happier out there anyway when it is warm weather, and then they acclimatise and grow the requisite coat as the weather gets colder. Could you not pop her under your coat as you are passing and find her a nice warm cosy home??
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Well done hun, at least you care, that poor dog Hope its sorted asap for her sake..
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh I hope she's OK. I think you of all people should be able to trust your instincts and the fact that you went back a second time to check means that you are probably right to suspect her care standards.
Keep us posted, poor wee mite.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Why oh why do people get a "PET" and then keep it like that . I can see that some thick coated breeds could possibly be kept outside in the right conditions . That little dog could live to be 14 or so , is that how she is going to spend her life
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2009, 12:14 PM
What thrill can people get from having a dog and treating it like this.I can never get my head around some peoples attitude towards animals why bother to have one if you don't look after it and enjoy its company.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well done - lets hope the RSPCA do go and see them and these people improve the poor girl's living conditions
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
You know I would like to put the owners out there without any proper bedding in just their undies and see how they coped. If she is dithering then it is extremely likely there is inadequate, if any, bedding, and like you say with a fine coat she has no chance If I am starting a dog living outside which has not been bred outside I always wait till the summer, often they are a lot happier out there anyway when it is warm weather, and then they acclimatise and grow the requisite coat as the weather gets colder. Could you not pop her under your coat as you are passing and find her a nice warm cosy home??
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Well done hun, at least you care, that poor dog Hope its sorted asap for her sake..
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Oh I hope she's OK. I think you of all people should be able to trust your instincts and the fact that you went back a second time to check means that you are probably right to suspect her care standards.
Keep us posted, poor wee mite.
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Why oh why do people get a "PET" and then keep it like that . I can see that some thick coated breeds could possibly be kept outside in the right conditions . That little dog could live to be 14 or so , is that how she is going to spend her life
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
What thrill can people get from having a dog and treating it like this.I can never get my head around some peoples attitude towards animals why bother to have one if you don't look after it and enjoy its company.
Well nothing heard yet...... Hopefully I will though, I have been a walk round with Bruce, just to give him a bit of Road work, and she is still there, and rather muddy, so at least when they go out they will see what she looks like. She cannot get into the back garden as the back gate is closed and locked (padlock) and I can see that there is a door to her pen at the side. I am now thinking that they are keeping her as a guard dog, although her tail is wagging and she is not aggressive, just wants a fuss, (I stopped and spoke to her) rather think her owners are not in as Bruce was barking away (in doggy fashion of ''come and play with me'') and no-one came out, and the car that was there last night is missing.
Surprised that they have done this as I can see someone nicking her.....and knowing how it is in area's around here with these dogs, not for good intentions either.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >