Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Can dogs be allergic to cats?

Without sounding completely stupid, as the title says, can dogs be allergic to cats?

The reason I'm asking, is because daph had problems with her skin, with it being quite red and itchy. We managed to calm
It a bit with her being on bionic biotic, but she would still flare up a bit. Since moving to Dorothy's for a few weeks, it's cleared up, she hasn't been scratching. The minute I came home for the weekend she started again and she started going red.

The ony difference I can think of is I have two cats, and Dorothy doesn't have any.

So do you think they can?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 03:34 PM
They can be allergic to cat fleas - my previous GSD was.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 03:36 PM
My last dog was allergic to cat fleas. Every time I visited and stayed with a pal who had a cat she got VERY irritated and red. I couldn't see any fleas on her and he wasn't aware his cat had fleas but didn't treat it (they were probably in the carpets).

Was the vet told me it was contact dermatitis flea allergy - just one bite can set it off. Antihistamine injection sorted the distressing scratching. But I had to stop visiting.

She was OK with my 2 cats but they were kept permanently flea free because one of them had flea allergy too. Thought it had mange when I took it in as a stray but it was flea allergy. It had whole patches of no fur.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 03:39 PM
The cats haven't got fleas though They are kept flea free and we also treat the carpets regularly to keep fleas out. So I don't know
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Perhaps its the stuff you use to treat the carpets? My 'allergic' dog was also very sensitive to Frontline (but she had to be treated) even that made her skin all hot and bothered her for a couple of days after putting it on.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 07:08 PM
I know this sounds bad but are you sure the cats havent got the odd flea, I say this because half of the expensive stuff we buy nowadays doesnt seem to work 100%. My old boy Ted was alergic to fleas so had special shampoo and skin stuff.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
I know this sounds bad but are you sure the cats havent got the odd flea, I say this because half of the expensive stuff we buy nowadays doesnt seem to work 100%. My old boy Ted was alergic to fleas so had special shampoo and skin stuff.
I don't know to be honest. I wouldn't think so because I regularly check the dogs (near enough every day) so surely u would find one on them?
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 07:23 PM
I dont know they are sneeky little ******s , and they do seem to still be around at the moment, must be the warm weather we are having for this time of year.
doggydaze
New Member!
Female 

20-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Hello Daph and family,

Yes absolutely dogs can be allergic to cats. Unfortunately there are many things it could be, seasonal, rarely but could be food-related, dust mites or dander, possibly.

It sounds like it was treated and getting better. You left the situation and it stopped, you returned and it flared up again.

Daph was not exposed to something while away that was re-introduced when returned home such as new food item, or the same food item, but maybe a different company, do you check your canned food items on occasion for expired dates, new house cleaning products, sprays etc.

They probably won't like it, but what about the cats being bathed a few times and see if the itching and redness improve. Also you might want to try a HEPA air filter as a possible solution if its dust mites or dander.

Good luck with your problem, I hope you get some answers for your babies. D.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by doggydaze View Post
Hello Daph and family,

Yes absolutely dogs can be allergic to cats. Unfortunately there are many things it could be, seasonal, rarely but could be food-related, dust mites or dander, possibly.

It sounds like it was treated and getting better. You left the situation and it stopped, you returned and it flared up again.

Daph was not exposed to something while away that was re-introduced when returned home such as new food item, or the same food item, but maybe a different company, do you check your canned food items on occasion for expired dates, new house cleaning products, sprays etc.

They probably won't like it, but what about the cats being bathed a few times and see if the itching and redness improve. Also you might want to try a HEPA air filter as a possible solution if its dust mites or dander.

Good luck with your problem, I hope you get some answers for your babies. D.
They are fed raw food so I know it's not the food, the only thing I can thing of that's different is the cats. Will have to have a think of what else it could be. There's no chance on this earth of me bathing one of the cats, I value my eyes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >