Our sister sites
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 11:08 PM

4 week old pups need some help

not sure if this is the right place

its been a while

3 puppies have had to been removed from there mother + being looked after by my sister at the min they are just 4 weeks old being fed with puppy milk + food from the vet still in shock being kept warm but she could do with some more advice on how to bring them up + care for them if anyone can help
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 11:29 PM
At 4 weeks old they should be starting to wean on to puppy food, tell her to get some puppy food and soak it in warm water and whatever puppy milk she is feeding them on, and encourage them to feed put a wee bit on clean fingers and help the to learn to take it from her hand, why was they taken is the bitch ill? shame really they need a momma but your sister will do for them the best she can i'm sure xxzbxx if you need anymore help feel free to pm me and il help you out.x
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 11:36 PM
hey thanks yea they were just starting to be wean so they have the idea just not great at it yet so shes been usin this paste stuff from the vets you mash up with warm water + the puppy milk but still worried about what she needs to show then clean them what the mum normally does + whats the best way of keepin them warm ???
the mum were not sure but some thing spooked her + she she doesnt want to know them anymore she was doing so well then yesterday changed
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 10:35 AM
if there house dogs whelping heat pads are good or constant warm room, if there outside then a heat lamp is a moajor must, she should have a damp sponge to clean there faces and a seprate one for the bottom end, has she had mom checked for mastitis as some times it can turn a brill mom into a rager if she had a tem or hard boobs or iffy looking milk that wont help her i'd get mom checked up and has her discharge cleared up? if not does it smell ok? as she could have a wee (small) infection in her uterus.
the pups will do fine on the pup food tell her not to worry and to not forget to worm the pups,sherleys worming paste is great its for puppies and kittens and you wiegh them and then follow instructions on the back, ive found drontal to heavy on the pups at this age, or panacur is good.
please come back on and tell us how they are.thanks xxzbxx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 10:38 AM
The best way to keep them warm is on a heat pad , Or fleece bedding and water bottles placed under neath , Or a heat lamp , I agree with ZB , She can use damp cotton wool or sponge (Damped with loo warm water _) for cleaning them up , Good luck pm me also if needs be , xxdk

Zb you pipped me to the post LOL XXDK
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Hope mum and the little paws are doing ok. Lov to see Photos xxxx

I use a very little mashed meet to encourage and then here seems to be no stopping them after that xxx

I would leave a little milk down all the time but changed very often and keep encouraging by placeing them close to the bowl.

I would make sure that you weigh the pups daily just to be sure that they are gaining and not loosing weight.

I would def get mum checked out. xxxx Could be a calcium deficiency. I give the mums the puppy milk to build them up to provide the milk and keep the levels high. With there age the demand is getting greater on mum and often want space from the puppies.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys i will pass on all the information + we took the mum to the vets shes had a full check up + shes all good physically

+ the pups are gettin the hang of it my sister has been feedin them quite well during the night as well + cleaning them + been using a heater at the min looking into a heat pad thanks again
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Why did the pups have to be removed from mum, was she ill?
Becky
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 06:31 PM
no shes not ill but she turned on them + doesnt want to know them anymore
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Around 4 weeks mum does start to keep away more, due to the teeth coming through, plus at 4 weeks I would worry about eclampsia, at this age they are stronger and feed harder/longer did mum have a blood test to check her calcium levels?

I would also recommend a heat pad, even at 4 weeks pups are clever, they move to the heat when they need it and move away when they don't, with a heater they really can't avoid it, so could overheat and dehydrate.

When you say 'turned' did she growl/grumble.....that could have been a pup nipping, and their teeth are very sharp when they first come through, I think I would sit by her and let the pups feed, watch her closely though, those pups really need their mum and hand rearing really has to be a last resort.

Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >