Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kana
New Member!
Female 

12-06-2013, 06:25 PM

Return to UK from holiday rules .. am a bit confused

I have no plans yet, I'm just educating myself. I do have plans for trips to e.g. Holland in the future.

Now.. I'm reading up on the rules on a site and it says that when a dog returns to the UK... it has to have e.g. a tapeworm treatment 1-5 days BEFORE arrival in UK. This must be done by a vet AND it has to be recorded in the pet passport.

Does this mean I have to find a vet in Holland to get a tapeworm treatment and stamp?
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2013, 06:27 PM
yes i think so
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Would you not have to have treatment done before you go and then provide proof of this on arrival.

WELCOME TO DOGSEY
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Sorry, misread that, see your point now
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Yes you need to find a vet but there lists of vets that provide the treatment near to the gateway you are using to return home.
Kana
New Member!
Female 

12-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome Eileen

I'm planning to make car trips to Holland. I was suprised to read that I have to get the meds and a stamp from a vet abroad. It wasn't something I expected but it is logical.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Kana View Post
Thanks for the welcome Eileen

I'm planning to make car trips to Holland. I was suprised to read that I have to get the meds and a stamp from a vet abroad. It wasn't something I expected but it is logical.
Will that mean you' ll have to get the treatment every time you make a trip?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2013, 07:51 PM
I have no plans yet, I'm just educating myself. I do have plans for trips to e.g. Holland in the future.

Now.. I'm reading up on the rules on a site and it says that when a dog returns to the UK... it has to have e.g. a tapeworm treatment 1-5 days BEFORE arrival in UK. This must be done by a vet AND it has to be recorded in the pet passport.

Does this mean I have to find a vet in Holland to get a tapeworm treatment and stamp?
Yes. I queried this just before Xmas saying that, for a short trip, it would mean treatment TWICE in a short period where worming is only carried out (usually) at about 6 month intervals.

For my trouble I got a lecture from the snotty vet all about 'have you ever seen what tapeworm can do to a human'.

And to administer one pill and one pipette of Frontline he charged me almost seventy quid and I had to administer the pill because he was afraid my minpin would bite him!

*then to rub salt in the wound I find out it is only coming INTO the UK this applies and I needn't have had it done again for taking her back to Cyprus! I would say I will know next time but it was such a hassle all round I doubt I will ever fly her with me again.
Kana
New Member!
Female 

12-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Will that mean you' ll have to get the treatment every time you make a trip?

From what I understand... yes but that is what I hope to get confirmed by someone here (hopefully).

So.. in theory.. if I were to go to Holland every 2 weeks... my dog would get 26 of these tapeworm treatments a year. This can't be right..
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2013, 07:55 PM
From what I understand... yes but that is what I hope to get confirmed by someone here (hopefully).

So.. in theory.. if I were to go to Holland every 2 weeks... my dog would get 26 of these tapeworm treatments a year. This can't be right..
Wow!! Be cheaper to move to Holland
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >