Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 08:34 AM

Murph's tummy!

Hi folks,

Murph's got problems with his bowels!! Put your breakfast down before i go on!
His poos are copiuos, light brown and mucousy. He's been on Tree barks and live yoghurt for three days but it's not really clearing up.
he's well in himself, wants to eat...what lab doesn't! and he had a bout of this last year when he ate some baby water rats!! :smt078 He's a scavenger and although he loves to run I'm going to have to either muzzle him or keep him on his lead.
Now, should I take him to the vets or hang on a bit longer?

TTFN
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Hello Ruth sorry to hear about murphs tummy, i would give your vets a ring, you might need some antibiotics, he may have a tummy bug. also when was the last time he was wormed?

Hope he feels better soon x
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi Gems,
He was wormed recently so I think that's okay. I'll make an appointment for him at the vets though. Last time he had this I thought he'd picked up Giarda...he loves the rotten grass in ponds! What am I going to do with him!!
TTFN
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Yes, a visit to the vet is in order. Slippery Elm is a good standby for the runs.
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Just back from the vets. One injection, antibiotics and kaopectate. That should firm things up a bit!!
I've been giving him slippery elm....don't you just love that name!

TTFN
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 01:18 PM
hope he feels better soon, keep us posted x
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Ruth if he's for a dicky tum then any dairy produce will aggrevate it -the bacteria feeds on the yoghurt -I'd give him bland food for a few days ( no water rats PMSL ) then introduce the yoghurt
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks Murphy! the yoghurt is the live type bit I guess it's still dairy. I tried Murph on rice but it really doesn't suit him. He's settled down a bit now but trying to starve Murphy is impssible! He prowls around the house with his nose glued to the floor in case anyones dropped something! He was really upset with me tonight 'cos I kept him on a short lead and wouldn't let him eat the grass! I know some dogs do that when they've got an upset tum but Murph's always done it....well, he thinks if it's good enough for the cows.....!!
TTFN
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Hi Ruthlynn as Murphy says yogurt is still a dairy product and does still contain lactose which can upset not help some dogs and add to the problem. You don't sat what you feed Murphy? Is it wheat based because some dogs are wheat intolerant. I find the best food on these occasions is boiled rice and white fish like coley which is cheaper than most , but you say Murphy is not good with rice..have you tried brown rice... you may also like to try boiled mashed potatoes (no butter or milk added) and porridge too they often help. Hope Murphy is better soon.
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks all,

He's had no more yoghurt, just the stuff the vet gave him. He's raw fed and has been for two and a half years so I know it's not that. The problem is, Murph is a scavanger and will go into dirty water, eats rotten grass, etc and it's that which upsets his tummy. He doesn't have wheat based food either 'cos that seems to make him scratchy!
I'm going to change his food once we return to England; there's not much available in France as far as good kibble goes but I just feel that if he is going to compromise his system by eating grot from outside then I worry about how he'll cope with the bugs in raw. He's normally a very, very healthy dog; just gets these episodes from time to time "cos he's a dustbin!!