Our sister sites
Our sister sites
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2007, 02:19 PM

Brain Damged or just Odd Behaviour?

Hi all
Haven't posted in a while but I have just taken on a very odd little Chihuahua, 9 -10 mnths old he circles constantly either growling or crying.. I have known this dog since he was a pup and this behaviour started a few weeks ago, if called he appears confused about where to go and then seems scared, he trips up small steps etc, although I dont think he has sight problems, he just appears to be completely disnterested in everything he doesn't sniff at "stuff" at all, no scent marking, no sniffing at food toys etc .
when he is on lead if I stop walking he will circle on the lead when I start walking again , he will walk but a bit like a drunk, straight for a while then wobbles off to the side.Sometimes he will whimper as he walks.. he also stops and will lay his head down on the path. He is eating perfectly normally and is on natures menu , no problems with drinking , pooing or peeing..
He came from a home with other chihuahuas who have taken to attacking him, but he has no physical injuries, I wonder if they are attacking him cos he is different or if the attacks have truamatised him ?!?!? He has always been a bit "stupid" but displayed all normal doggy behaviour..
He is off to the vet nxt week but in the mean time has anyone got any advice.. information about this type of behaviour?!?!?

Thanks all
Rachel
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I think this littl`un needs to see a good vet, it could be brain damage, a tumour, seizures, ear infection, Vestibular, or all sorts of possibilities really
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2007, 02:37 PM
i think it is more brain related than behavoiur although he could have formed a habbit if he was under attack.
i have heard of brain disorders which signs are simliar but that is usually with age, not 10 months old.
not sure but i would find it odd for a 10 month old who has been picked on to display this kind of behaviour as a regular thing.
is there anything else he does which is odd?
get him checked over and let us know, hope its nothing serious.
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your replies.. he is settled now in a crate next to a DAP diffuser ..off to the vets tomorrow..his behaviour best fits into the "stroke" CAV category, poor little mite he is very unhappy at the moment, he seems to have flashes of normal behaviour.. a sort of awareness that lasts a few seconds then goes again..will let you all know what the vets says regarding treatment and long term outlook .. the only thing troubling me is that he seems young to have vestibular or stroke .. but as with all Chihuahuas he has a very large soft spot .. so maybe some sort of truama?!?!? I will be glad to get him to the vets its so sad to watch him, he looks scared all the time!
Thanks again
Rachel
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 09:11 PM
See what vet says but sounds like a mental problem, poor lad.

Maybe when the other attacked him as you say, he has hit his head, or maybe fell from somewhere and hit his head, as it doen't take much to hurt such a small dog.

Have you tried to see if he can hear and see ok?
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2007, 10:08 PM
interesting. i know a chihuahua who does exactly the same things (circling, crying, laying his head down)
his owners didnt take him to the vets...

hope this secret will be revealed with your little un
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 10:45 PM
poor little boy, i hope the vet can throw some light onto this tomorrow for you x
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2007, 04:03 AM
Maybe hydrocephalic? But those pups usually show signs from much younger.
Good luck at the vet tomorrow.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Good luck at the vets today....
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi All
Just to let you all know that my little one was PTS.. he had a Portosystemic shunt.. a congential disorder in small breeds whereby the liver is bypassed by the blood flow allowing toxins to enter the blood stream, effectively poisioning the dog.. he had a massive fit whilst at the vets .. the first one he had! Surgery was not an option in his case.
I held him, stroking and talking to him throughout, he was semi concious as a result of the fit so he just enjoyed the cuddle... gave him a kiss and told him night night baby

No more fear and confusion for this little one..
RUN FREE LITTLE MICKEY

Thanks all
Rachel
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >