Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Bella is one step ahead of me it seems LOL

Oh dear, I have created a problem LOL
Ihave been working on getting a good "drop" from Bella. We have taught her using her toys, she drops it, gets a treat, then gets the toy back. Great. Now sometimes Bella picks up stuff she shouldnt LOL She isnt too bad, and with 6 kids in the house the ammount of stuff left lying around on the floor is impressive! But when she picks up one of the kids toys, or a pencil,or the lid of the milk etc...we have been telling her to "drop" and then rewarding her with a treat...all good so far. She got the hang of it fairly quick.
Just now as I was putting some treats into a little tub to keep in the lounge (we have treats everywhere LOL) and she saw, so I got her to do a couple of sits,so she had a couple....anyway she obviously wanted more...so she went off and came back with a piece of string in her mouth...she came up to me and waved it around and you could just hear her say..."oh mummy look what I've got, you better tell me to drop it and give me a treat"
Well I got the string off her...no treat...then she came in the lounge with me and picked up a piece of paper off the table..and instead of running off to her bed like usual with it she came up to me to show it off again...when I ignored her she dropped it, did her usual huff and went back to sit on the windowsill LOL
Shows what happens when dogs are smarter than their owners LOL
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:22 PM
bless her. She's a smart cookie alright
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Oh PMSL at her walking off in a huff to sit at the window there, I bet she was saying "you can take it outta that"!!!!

Rod and back spring to mind here!!! Note to self...... don't concentrate on any one command at any one time or it could mean trouble! Soooo funny
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Cute smart girl
The joy and problem of having a dog with a brain, I try and remember to give mine lots of attention when they are being good and doing nothing wrong

I know your pain tho, Mia realised I paid her attention when she was digging up the floor in the agility barn. Now everyone kills themselves laughing when she digs a bit, looks at me to say 'see, see I am digging the floor' then digs some more
I try and make sure and catch her and give her attention for the points when she is sitting nicely before she feels the need to dig for attention (it is cute tho)
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 06:16 PM
yep.she's proving she's smarter than me today! She just jumped up on the piano stool,and I told her to get down. Well,actually I didnt ! What I said was "Bella,down"...so she looked briefly puzzled, then lay carefully down on the stool with front and back paws hanging over the edges, cause it really wasn't big enough LOL
Another note to self don't confuse commands "down" and "off" LOL

Ben- bless little Mia digging!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 06:32 PM
LOL, I hope you told her what a good girl she was she did EXACTLY what you asked
I rem on another forum someone posted a foto of when they had told their border collie to get into a crate - not realising that the only open crate was a cat crate - one big dog trying to fit into a tiny crate
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
LOL, I hope you told her what a good girl she was she did EXACTLY what you asked
I rem on another forum someone posted a foto of when they had told their border collie to get into a crate - not realising that the only open crate was a cat crate - one big dog trying to fit into a tiny crate
Oh I love it!!

How rewarding and how much fun dogs like Bella are - enjoy. To say that our new dog has one brain cell is pushing it a bit Still, he HAS learnt that if he doesn't behave like Jack Russell the Ripper whenever we meet another dog then he gets a reward, and now our walks are a complete pleasure, so there is some hope
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 06:47 PM
oh,yes she got a treat bless her! I was pleased actually 'cause for ages she had a habbit of confusing down/sit so it's good to know she really does know the difference LOL And she looked SO funny hanging over the edges of the stool looking all pleased with herself...couldnt not treat that !
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh I love it!!

How rewarding and how much fun dogs like Bella are - enjoy. To say that our new dog has one brain cell is pushing it a bit Still, he HAS learnt that if he doesn't behave like Jack Russell the Ripper whenever we meet another dog then he gets a reward, and now our walks are a complete pleasure, so there is some hope
aww bless him! Nice walks are so important - great you have got to that point!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Ah, that made me laugh she is such a clever girl!