View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 09:19 PM

Poo on the carpet! - why does he do it only when the family come home?

I would like your opinions please.

Harvey is very good at toilet training and we have very few accidents indoors. This evening he has had 2 poo's on the hall carpet!!!!

I was in the office and I thought my OH was with him in the kitchen!!!!!!but he had wandered into the hall.

I must admit I do watch him all day and spend most of my time with him. So why when the family come home does he decide to do it indoors??
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Perhaps its better when you are on your own with him i found that when my one was a puppy when every one came in from work the doors get open they forget your trying to train a puppy your doing dinner and so on and as well you can have the back door open in the day so that makes it better and as you said you spend most of your time with him still he will get there in the end bless him he will be a clean boy for hes mum.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Mine were clean in front of me from a very early age, they wouldn't actually *go* indoors if I was there, they always asked to go out, but as soon as I wasn't in sight they do it inside!

They just grew out of it after a while, he's still onlt young yet, i'm sure he will grow out of it soon if he's usually very good

Good luck!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Thank you - chelsea and random....

The back door is normally open during the day, and if it is shut Harvey normally scratches at the door to ask to go out!!!

I know I watch him like a hawk and answer to his every whim, and the disruption of OH and daughter coming home, dinner etc etc...

I have gone through so many rolls of kitchen towel.....
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Harveys Mum
Thank you - chelsea and random....

The back door is normally open during the day, and if it is shut Harvey normally scratches at the door to ask to go out!!!

I know I watch him like a hawk and answer to his every whim, and the disruption of OH and daughter coming home, dinner etc etc...

I have gone through so many rolls of kitchen towel.....

Ahhhhhhhhh bless that is soooooooo sweet bless him to scratch at the door cos he is still so very young he looks such a lovely little thing if i lived nearer i would be over your garden to get him.LOL
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Ah, bless, he's only a baby - he'll learn soon enough. Be patient, and buy extra kitchen roll
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2006, 07:52 AM
Just excitement I would think

If you know he is likely to do it whizz him outside or get the greetings done outside in a 'poo-approved' area

Or do you mean he is pooing inside well after the initial homecomings? If so, then everyone must keep an eagle eye on him if you are busy and take him out at the first signs.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Try cleaning the hall carpet thoroughly.... bio washing powder in warm water, and maybe even a little steam clean. It should get rid of the smell

But he's only a tiny baby anyway I think he's doing really well
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I think it is his very own little gift just for the family

Keep on as you are and he will grow out of it
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
I think it is his very own little gift just for the family

Keep on as you are and he will grow out of it

LOL - I could think of better gifts to give!!

If he does this after being let outside and you've been home a while he could be doing it for attention perhaps? However, he probably just got caught short - Ozzy used to get so excited at greeting time that even when he was let out he would come back inside again as quicky as possible in case he was missing out on something!

I would try and make Harvey stay outside longer and try and get him to empty using a command (I use "hurry up" but any command you wish really!) - wait until he looks like he is sniffing with intent then use the command when he does start to do his business. If you do this regularly you will be able to actually get him to empty on command (it is a very handy command for them to learn!).

I used to give Ozzy a biscuit as well as praise when he did this to help encourage him, he soon clicked onto it when the food was presented too Even now after going outside he still runs to the treat drawer for a gravy bone as if to say 'Haven't I been a good boy!' - he's dead proud of his poos!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >