Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Horrible, disgusting TICKS!

My dogs picked up a few of these horrible beasties while walking through woodland on Saturday. They were frontlined on 24 April so within the 4 weeks recommended by the company.

They have been removed now but I would love to find a more effective deterrant to the critters. I know Frontline doesn't prevent them from biting, but kills them 24-48 hours after the bite, so is there any chemical product which deters/kills them before biting.

Cox is not an easy candidate when it comes to removing ticks and so I would rather not have to do it. Belle makes it easy as she just lets you.

My cousin lives in Greece where ticks are more dangerous, and they use Scalibur or Kiltix collars as well as the spot on treatment.

Anyone had experience of these?
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 03:24 PM
LOL was just thinking to myself that there bloody upon us found one in Katos head.
I really wanna do the whole natural thing but dogs sleep in bed and I would be hysterical if one was in me.
I found advocate always works.
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I also recommend advocate.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:57 PM
My vet has recommended Advantix - anyone experienced it - I'll ask about Advocate.

Why do you recommend Advocate? Is it just because it is more effective, or are there other reasons too?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:01 PM
YUK!!!
Why? what are there purpose on this earth, like slugs, well at least they are food for hedgehogs. But ticks naaa no need for them God, take em back

Elaine xxx
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Found 6 more of them this morning. I'm getting really agitated and feeling sorry for them as I know they must still have some and I haven't found them yet. That's 9 in total now! aRGH the Frontline clearly isn't working as the last 3 were ALIVE.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I HATE ticks with a passion. I have tried all sorts of things to keep the blooming things off in the first place, but haven't found anything that is effective yet.

Will have to try Advocate.

The worst thing is Skilaki when you don't find the blighters, they fill with blood and then fall off on your floor like a big, grey pebble! Yuk yuk yuk!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Ewww, I'd hate to find them bloated with blood on my
floor!!

I always do a 'tick-sweep' on Marius after we've had him on the fells. The flipping bracken seems to be like paradise for the blighters!

I too wish there was something that you could just spray on your dog that deterred them from even jumping on them in the first place.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Dunno why this thread making me laugh the way you are about ticks I am about worms they can make me cry lol
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Is it unusual to find so many (9 so far between the two dogs) at one time?

If I don't find them all, and some fill up and drop off, does leaving them usually cause problems?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >