Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2007, 11:42 AM

Why does he bring things to us?

In a morning or when we come in from being out Obi is always standing at the door with one of his toys for us, and gives it to us? Its very sweet and no problem but was just wondering if there was any explantion for it?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I think it's sort of displacement activity. My Wilson spends most of his time carrying a toy around I just think he does it because he doesn't know what to do lol!
Becky
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Dax does a similar thing but he actually greets me first & then runs to fetch a toy for me. My friends lab never greeted anyone at the door without something to give to them, usually a cushion off the armchair. With him I used to think it was breed related but with Dax I think its his way of asking for attention when I come in.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm not really sure why they do it but Max does similar to me. Like GSD-Sue's Dax he greets me first and then brings me his ball/cuddly toy and plonks it on my lap or at my feet. It can be a little annoying when I am trying to eat my breakfast or read the paper in the morning
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Ali carrying things around is natural play behaviour for puppies. If at some time Obi brought a toy to you in order to initiate play and he was praised for doing so, you will have rewarded the behaviour therefore he will continue to bring things to you because he has learn it brings the reward of praise/play
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Takara follows you around the house with her tug toy smacking it around your legs

It really hurts actually...
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2007, 03:54 PM
We see him at the door and when he's sure its us he runs off to get his toy! quite funny really, its nice because when we got him he didnt play at all, now he wont leave us alone
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Jess does things like this all the time, mainly with food.

I think they do this to show that you are alpha, and also as a display of affection, it is very sweet when they do it.

For some reason Jess thinks that giving me a pigs ear is my favorite treat.