View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

23-03-2005, 09:36 PM

Halitosis/Dog Breath

11. Halitosis/Dog Breath: Halitosis, or unpleasant breath, can be caused by a stomach problem, bad teeth or tonsils, or something that is stuck in the dog's mouth or throat.

Look your dog’s teeth to see if any are decayed. If not, then give him 3/4 teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda in his food twice a day for a few days. If his breath is still offensive, then take him to a vet to see if he needs his teeth cleaned or his tonsils treated.

Stan
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2005, 10:17 AM
See the above tip also previous tip...

Putting a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar per quart of water in your dog's water bowl or on food can clear up most active yeast infections and prevent future infections. Apple cider vinegar tablets can be used if your dog refuses to drink the treated water or eat the food.
I do not agree with the tip because many people reading this item will take it literally, having been told a couple of days ago to add cider vinegar to the dogs food or water, people are now also told to add "3/4 teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda in his food twice a day for a few days". I am not a scientist, but know one is acid and one alkaline and if you mix the two together you get a chemical reaction, I may be wrong but I would not have thought this was a good thing to do to your dogs tummy . Try putting some cider vinegar in a cup, now add some bicarb, quite a reaction..sorry not being awkward just concerned with putting so many additives in dogs food !!

In addition to this, I would want to know why my dog had bad breath, it is invariably caused by an underlying problem often related to teeth or diet though could be other things and I would prefer to know what it is as soon as possible rather than just try to cover it up and maybe miss the chance of getting early treatment . Think about it for a moment..what if your dog had bad breath due to a serious undiagnosed illness cancer of some type, and you put vinegar and bicarb in his food....poor thing
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

24-03-2005, 11:05 AM
I really have very little to say about this reply other than "Rubbish" don't dogs naturally have acid is their stomach or has my biology gone awry?. And I did say that if it hasn't cleared up in few days then see a Vet. I feel that appears reasonable

It is not as if you a force feeding bicarb on a daily basis this is 3/4 of a teaspoon twice a day for a couple of days . However I am sure everyone will make their own mind up.

Stan
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Your dog could also have bad breath if it isnt absorbing the food properly.... Or so my vet told me. Luna was fed a food based on fish, and she had the most nasty breath (my friends gsd was fed the same food without problems). I took her to the vet to have her mouth checked over. I couldnt see anything in the teeth so thought I would let the vet check... She has shiny white teeth.

And since changing food, she no longer has this bad breath....