View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2011, 10:32 PM

Whats wrong with the kids of today - are they evil?

I volunteer at Ponies Bred for the Disabled, well today, I caught 4 youths (poss aged 13-15), throwing stones at one of our ponies.

I understand lads need to be aggressive, take risks etc, but why try and hurt a helpless pony? Don't tell me at that age they dont know what they are doing, it must be because they delight in hurting poor helpless creatures.

Please note, this happened in an affuluent area in Surrey, (not in some inner deprived City area).

It just makes me despair - it really does.
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2011, 10:42 PM
poor ponies
kids of that age do know what they are doing , why they do it i have no idea , could be a mixture of things , bad parenting , boredom , or just sometimes born that way , pity we live in society today where kids can no longer have a flaming clip round the earhole
hope the ponies are okay.
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Agree with you Dooley, 100% luckily I was too far away really, coz if I had caught the so-in-so's I could be looking at an assault charge right now, and coz they are minors... well, dont wanna think about it, was so mad...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Its because a lot of children are bought up with no respect for anyone or anything these days.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I agree with Madmare....sad but a fact Im afraid

We were coming back from ours a week or so back when we saw some lads on bikes heading towards fields by ours where there are horses too, we sat in the car and watched them....... thankfully they were just shouting etc at them not actually throwing anything and the ponies stayed away.
But they were actually crossing large fields to get to them so it does make you worry as we do have kids like that here
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I also agree with Madmare - I am 19 so not much older than them and I was brought up to respect people and their property. And as for Animals - well I love them so would never intentionally hurt one.

But I see where you are coming from, the children at my parent's area seem to be able to swear from the day they come out the womb, I've seen 13 year olds smoking and a few years ago I was walking Sadie and this kid egged his younger siblings and friend to throw rocks at her, she'd not done anything to them and neither had I, if they'd had hit her, they wouldn't have had a hand to throw with! Luckily for them and Sadie - they were rubbish shots and their throws went no further than their shadow.

They also leave their bikes on pathways and in the road - where anyone can trip over etc and when my OH picked me up from my parents one day - we were turning off the street and these kids were cycling at snails pace in the middle of the road - I beeped the horn (I'm going to be an assertive driver when I pass I reckon ) and I got two fingers! They were only about 7, it's ridiculous!

If I saw ponies/horses in a field - I wanted to stroke them and feed them odd bits of long grass...I know one person who's Dad owned a horse at my parent's area - in a field just off a park, had a fire set in the horses field and just left burning - poor horse was scared to death and the Fire department were called out in the early hours by a person who lived near the field who'd heard the commotion of what she said were young teens (13-15) running away from the horse who was rearing and panicked..

Idiots.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:09 AM
I would always say something, because obviously the child has neglectful parents and has not been taught properly.
I catch kids chucking stones etc at swans and ducks quite often and I, (as do others) give them a good telling off. I think it`s partly thoughtlessness and partly that they never have contact with animals.
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Oh I certainly said/shouted something, like: "c'mon here you little beep, beep, I am gonna have you!!" wordsto that effect!! anyway.

I went looking for them but they managed to slip away. I will keep an eye out forthem. The annoying thing was about 15 mins before that, I saw two community police jobs walking the beat (not the police you understand, they would never be doing anything like walking the beat!!).
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:26 AM
I have seen youth throw stones/sticks at my pony once when he lived out a few years back. What is worse is that we think my pony was beaten before he even came to me . It has taken me years to get his trust back in others since the incident occurred; It was important as he was used as an RDA pony. I am grateful that we had CCTV on the route to the said field and the police managed to track them down- turns out 2 members of the group were wanted for theft also!!

I am not sure what goes through peoples mind to want to hurt/tourture another animal.
lilyben
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:38 AM
the problem is that if the kids are out of thier parents hair they dont care what they get up to,the parents have no respect or morals so the kids cannot grow up to be respectful members of society,just like our dogs we only get out what we put in,i have 3 lads grown up now,2 had adhd 1 was severe he went to special school,i never let them play out because they were trouble magnets,and would have ended up with polce records,it was hard work keeping them in and would have made my life easier in the short term ,but now 1 in the army,1 training to be a mechanic ,if i hadnt of put out for them when they were younger then i would have been visiting them in prison probably!!!!,these kids have no guidence or sometimes no male role model which i believe in most cases is whats needed,these young yobs need a stint in a camp run by the army ,to teach them self respect then they will in turn respect others,karen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >