View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janaway667
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:33 PM

Choosing the right dog insurance very confusing!!

Hi,
Just purchased a Golden Retreiver cross Golden Lab.
Mario is just 9 wks old and adorable.

I'm in the process of sorting out some pet insurance for him and think I have narrowed it down to 2 insurers.
More Than and John Lewis. Has anybody used either and can comment good or bad. Or does anyone else have any better recomendations?

All Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jayne
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Hello Jayne

Can't comment on either of them as I have not used them. We are with Direct Line for everything (house, cars, pets) and are very happy with them. Reasonable rates, multi-pet discounts if you have more than one pet insured with them and they have always paid up on time when making a claim.
janaway667
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hello Jayne

Can't comment on either of them as I have not used them. We are with Direct Line for everything (house, cars, pets) and are very happy with them. Reasonable rates, multi-pet discounts if you have more than one pet insured with them and they have always paid up on time when making a claim.
Never thought of obtaining a quote from them will put in Mario's details and see what they come up with.

Thank You.

Jayne
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Never used either of them. I have to stick to Petplan for Bailey as no other will cover him 3rd party because of his eyes I can do it seperatley but it's not cost effective.

I use M&S for the other two and never had a problem with them, they've paid up on time with no questions and my vet will take their forms and send them off rather than me having to pay it up front and claim it back
janaway667
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Thank you.

It always helps if the insurer pays the vet direct rather than youselves being out of pocket.

Jayne
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:01 PM
My 3 are insured with More Than, and I've recently had to make claims for Doug for 2 separate conditions.
I had no problems with the insurers, the vet filled out he claim form and they were paid direct within 10 days.
I did have to pay the £70 excess and a percentage of the final bill, which is stipulated in the insurance policy.
It's not a true life-time cover, but I see it as the next best (I couldn't afford the premiums with Pet Plan for 3 dogs )
The cover is for £7000 per condition for as long as you stay with the insurers.
Hope that helps.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by janaway667 View Post
Thank you.

It always helps if the insurer pays the vet direct rather than youselves being out of pocket.

Jayne
Some vets do insist on you paying first and then claiming back off the insurance. So, it isn't always the insurance companies that stipulate this but the veterinary practices themselves.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Petplan for my large crossbreed - £20 a month, Covered For Life. I could insure him more cheaply but I wanted to go with a reliable company. I haven't needed to make a claim yet fortunately but they have a very good reputation and will deal with the vet direct.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Petplan for my large crossbreed - £20 a month, Covered For Life. I could insure him more cheaply but I wanted to go with a reliable company. I haven't needed to make a claim yet fortunately but they have a very good reputation and will deal with the vet direct.
I've had 2 major claims in 3 yrs for Bailey for foreign object removal surgery and they've never queried any part of it - just paid up
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 10:45 PM
been with more than for 9 years and never had a problem and have had lots of claims as Bruno has Hip dysplacia and prone to lumps.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >