Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-12-2006, 02:01 AM

should the kennel club stop recognising new breeds

just a thought would love to hear your views if we have so many breeds all ready every year the kennel club are recognising new breeds i.e doge de berdoux neopoliatn mastiffs parsons jck russels just a few i have mentioned from the top of my head .and i hear may be and a big maybe that labradoodles my soon be recognised ,
which is a cross breed
divine
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2006, 02:10 AM
i think pedigree dogs such as the dogue de bordeaux should be recognised and the neapolitan mastiff they have been round for many many years in france and italy and over here for nearly a century but the labradoodle i understand the importance of this cross breed because of the benefits to health issues both for the dogs themselves and for the human this is another dog that an asthmatic can own but it is really hard one this one to call because it has such benefits should it be allowed to be kc reg. who wants to play chief executive of the kennel club and decide on the benefits of such dogs (wheres hayley)(not being funny but would like to hear her opinions on this subject) (as it over runs the previous thread i was reading)
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 08:10 AM
No I don't think the Kennel Club should stop recognising 'new' breeds.

Most newly recognised breeds are not new at all, they are established breeds in their country of origin, like the Dogue de Bordeaux The Kennel Club takes its time before allowing full recognition to enable the breeders to import and breed from a large enough gene pool, to ensure breed type, to establish the overall health of the breed, and to establish the breed standard, which sometimes has slight variations on the standard of the country of origin.

The case of 'Labradoodles' is somewhat different. this is a cross breed that has huge variation in appearance, even between littermates. I'm under the impression that most of these dogs are F1 so there is no chance of KC recognition until it became possible to breed true to type for many generations without ever adding in again, Labrador or Poodle, or any other pure breed for that matter.

Dawn R.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
No I don't think the Kennel Club should stop recognising 'new' breeds.

Most newly recognised breeds are not new at all, they are established breeds in their country of origin, like the Dogue de Bordeaux The Kennel Club takes its time before allowing full recognition to enable the breeders to import and breed from a large enough gene pool, to ensure breed type, to establish the overall health of the breed, and to establish the breed standard, which sometimes has slight variations on the standard of the country of origin.

The case of 'Labradoodles' is somewhat different. this is a cross breed that has huge variation in appearance, even between littermates. I'm under the impression that most of these dogs are F1 so there is no chance of KC recognition until it became possible to breed true to type for many generations without ever adding in again, Labrador or Poodle, or any other pure breed for that matter.

Dawn R.
I agree with Dawn, recognising an established breed that doesn't already have recognition is one thing, granting recognition to 'designer breeds' is a different matter.

To establish any new breed would necessitate the production of many generations of puppies in order to breed to type, where do all the not true to type puppies go.
There are too many unwanted dogs around as it is and established breeds already in existence to cater to every requirement, so there really is no justification for producing new breeds.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 09:44 AM
I agree with Dawn too. (good posting) Also most new breeds of today are created for fashion reasons which i highley disagree with and feel that the KC should not accept these "non purpose" dogs to discourage further breeding.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 10:05 AM
I would love to add more to the discussion, but feel that Dawn has said what I wanted to say far more eloquently than I could

Old, established breeds should be recognised.

Flights of fancy and fashion should not.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Ditto to the above..although i've never quite gotten why JRT's n Patterdales have never been recognised...most curious.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I agree with Dawn, recognising an established breed that doesn't already have recognition is one thing, granting recognition to 'designer breeds' is a different matter.

To establish any new breed would necessitate the production of many generations of puppies in order to breed to type, where do all the not true to type puppies go.
There are too many unwanted dogs around as it is and established breeds already in existence to cater to every requirement, so there really is no justification for producing new breeds.
Dawn and Mini - I agree wholeheartedly with what you have said and just was unable to put it in to words and have been thinking how to say it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Ditto to the above..although i've never quite gotten why JRT's n Patterdales have never been recognised...most curious.
Yeah, why is that? Although I bet there are plenty of JRT and Patterdale owners who are quite happy for their breed not to be recognised (and messed with!) by the KC!
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

I think the JRT club dont want them to be recognised due to not wanted them to be bred to show type as it may spoil the breed. For Eg The fox terrier in the 1920 looked like today's jrt but because they are being bred to show and not work, they have changed considerably and the JRTCUK dont want this to happen to Russells.

Hope this helps
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »