Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jossrocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2008, 10:13 AM

sleeping arrangements

Hi all
I am stuck with my puppy's sleeping arrangements at the moment!(he is 7 weeks)
When my staffie was a pup he used the crate to sleep in without a problem. we kept it in the kitchen as not fond of dogs coming upstairs, and he never made a peep, he was fantastic.He now sleeps downstairs on his chair!
Now Diablo on the other hand has not taken to the crate at all. He was basically screaming to get out so i couldnt leave him. All i could think of to do was what i did with my mums GSD when i was living at home and bought him up as a pup. This is to make a secure area in the bedroom with bed, puppy mats and toys. He hs settled in to this really well and sleeps through the night no problem.
he has been like this for a week now but my problem is when it comes to having him sleep downstairs with zorch
(2 years) .
I dont think i could trust them to go through the night together. firstly because they are always play fighting together, and secondly i dont think zorch would leave him alone to sleep.
How will i introduce him into sleeping downstairs and at what age would be best to try and start?
Its just leaving them together that im worried about.
Any ideas would be brilliant thankyou.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Well, there are a couple of ways I can think of.

One would be to have them in different rooms and use a babygate to seperate them - they can see each other without being together.

The other would be for you to spend a couple of nights sleeping on the settee or camp bed downstairs. I think this would probably be my preferred option - it will get the pup used to sleeping downstairs and you can keep an ear out (assuming that you are not a very heavy sleeper) for if they get too boisterous. If they don't settle well together, you may have to go with the baby gate idea.
jossrocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Thankyou, they are 2 ideas to consider. i especially like the baby gate idea!!!haha
I am only ever used to doing this with one dog!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 11:49 AM
It's funny, but our boys don't scrap/fight/play over night and never have done.

I think it's because we'd already got a bedtime routine established with Max and Murphy just slotted into it.

We tried with a crate with Murphy, but he just wanted to be next to Max, so in the end we packed it in.

jossrocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2008, 12:04 PM
ahh that looks so peaceful! do they sleep through the night together like that?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Not any more!! Murphy is bigger than Max now ( ) so they just sleep curled up next to each other...