Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Introducing a kitten?

I am getting a kitten in a few weeks, I have a Malamute, a BC, a Lab and a Norwich Terrier who are unfamiliar with cats.

All my dogs are fine with rabbits, chickens and rats - so am assuming they will welcome a kitten.

How would you introduce?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Always started with kitten/kittens in a big crate with; litter tray, toys, bowls, cosy bed that is hideable in or even a cardboard box with hole cut in and stuffed with blankets. Allowed dogs to have a nose, but called away and constantly rewarded with treats until the novelty wears off. Dogs learn they can't pester, kitten learns doesn't have to hiss and spit as the great oafs that want to sniff and lick will leave him alone eventually.
When dogs ignore sufficiently after maybe a sniff, and kitten no longer see's as a threat...allowed out around each other under close supervision. Never had problems here, the problem that commonly arises is people introducing before teaching dogs to leave the kitten and not pester. As they pester, kitten will attempt to run and hide, naturally they will chase...usually pawing said kitten too, kitten then ends up terrified and long term very wary and hissy when it comes to canines.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Will be following this with interest as I'm planning to have a cat in the autumn.