Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 02:06 PM

How to deal with aggressive horses?!

I know there are a few horsey people on the forum, so was hoping someone could help me out.

I took Isla for a 5 mile walk in Crimdon Dene yesterday. It was a lovely walk along the coast and then inland along an old railway line. Anyway, it was the first time I'd done this walk and I came across a field full of horses - about 10 of them. I've never had a problem with horses, they're usually very friendly, but then I've never encountered so many in one field.

I crossed the style past one, he was quite happy watching me cross and left me to it. As I walked up the field about 3 others came trotting over to say hello, or so I thought!

I stopped as they came towards me so they could have a sniff and then continued walking. It was then it went a little pear shaped. One horse seemed intent on trying to get infront of me, when it did it started to turn it's back end to me in an attempt to kick me. I managed to get round it the first time, but I was starting to get hemmed in by the other two. On the second occasion it got infront of us (Isla was on a short flexi lead throughout) and managed to kick, narrowly missing me. Isla then freaked out, tried to run away and in the process snapped her collar. I managed to get round this horse again and get to the style just before it had another shot at kicking the living daylights out of me! It was certainly a relief to get out of that field I can tell you!

Anyway what I was wondering is, was there anything I could've done to avoid the situation? Should I have shooed them away the first chance I got, or would I be better bribing them the next time?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 02:23 PM
omg what a horrible experience

tbh i normally take a whip in a field with me (or leadrope) if i know thers a nasty horse

id use a stick tbh - justa short stick you can manage and tap them -

people may not agree but tbh if my horse was kicking out - id expect more than a tap witha stick!!!!
artemis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi there!

Sorry your walk was not as tranquil as you had hoped! I have had horses and dogs all my life and Have had two that absolutely loathed dogs and would chase them out of the paddocks at any given opportunity. As for aggression towards humans it is not common but does occur. In a field of ten horses you might be seen as a threat, especially with a dog in tow. The herd instinct is strong and in the natural hierachy of things the "boss" may well have been protecting the others. I personally would not walk with a dog through a field of ten strange horses and not expect to encounter some problems. Thank goodness neither you or your dog was kicked. Could have been nasty. Adding food to the situation as a bribe would probably cause more problems! Be careful!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Oh dear! Poor you!

I've never had to deal with aggressive horses, only very pushy new forest ponies! I usually wave my arms, slapping my sides making myself big and a bit noisy and they give up and go away. BUT the ones i have met are very inquisitive and pushy and have never had one trying to kick me......only stand in my picnic! I then usually calmly pack up and ignore them!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I would say... if you dont really have much horse experiance... that field would be best avoided... really just due to the amount of horses in it.. things can get really dangerous quickly... if you or the dog get kicked in the head... it could be fatal... if you do go again. try getting someone to go with you... use a rope or stick.. may help,.. but sadly there are some mean horses out there... hugs you must have been quite shocked,.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
omg what a horrible experience

tbh i normally take a whip in a field with me (or leadrope) if i know thers a nasty horse

id use a stick tbh - justa short stick you can manage and tap them -

people may not agree but tbh if my horse was kicking out - id expect more than a tap witha stick!!!!
Thanks, I do have a riding crop from my riding days so might try to fish it out.
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Hi there!

Sorry your walk was not as tranquil as you had hoped! I have had horses and dogs all my life and Have had two that absolutely loathed dogs and would chase them out of the paddocks at any given opportunity. As for aggression towards humans it is not common but does occur. In a field of ten horses you might be seen as a threat, especially with a dog in tow. The herd instinct is strong and in the natural hierachy of things the "boss" may well have been protecting the others. I personally would not walk with a dog through a field of ten strange horses and not expect to encounter some problems. Thank goodness neither you or your dog was kicked. Could have been nasty. Adding food to the situation as a bribe would probably cause more problems! Be careful!
I think it was definitely the fact that there were quite a few of them, I've never come across so many in one field! I'm used to farm animals, but they're usually more curious than anything else, a quick wave of the arms is all it normally takes, but when you're staring at the back end of a horse waving your arms doesn't really have the same effect!
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Oh dear! Poor you!

I've never had to deal with aggressive horses, only very pushy new forest ponies! I usually wave my arms, slapping my sides making myself big and a bit noisy and they give up and go away. BUT the ones i have met are very inquisitive and pushy and have never had one trying to kick me......only stand in my picnic! I then usually calmly pack up and ignore them!
Yeah that's the normal situation for me too, most livestock just want to suss you out and either just follow behind or go away when they get bored. I've never been actively picked on by livestock before!

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I would say... if you dont really have much horse experiance... that field would be best avoided... really just due to the amount of horses in it.. things can get really dangerous quickly... if you or the dog get kicked in the head... it could be fatal... if you do go again. try getting someone to go with you... use a rope or stick.. may help,.. but sadly there are some mean horses out there... hugs you must have been quite shocked,.
Hmm, will have to see if I can avoid it then. I don't really know the area and it was right next to a Childrens Animal Farm, so no obvious way round tbh.

It was pretty dangerous, I was out of my depth and that's never a good situation to be in around large animals! I'm hoping some of them may be taken in for the winter, guess we'll have to see!

Thanks for the advice all.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Hi there!

Couldn't agree more with all of the above.

I used to have some of this when walking my own horse through another field of horses to put him out in the mornings, but I always let Cassie do her own thing. Dogs are very smart and will always get out of the way by ducking under a fence or getting into the bushes etc. it would have been far more dangerous if I had her on a lead, and one mare would persistently chase her, but I never worried coz she was horse wise if you know what I mean. I don't have to do it now with a dog and personally I wouldn't, not with 10 strange horses in a herding instinct as Artemis has already said.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 07:11 PM
I was out of my depth and that's never a good situation to be in around large animals!
I have had horses most of my life... and to be honest.. you did well to get you and the dog out...even the best horsey person would be struggling with the sheer numbers in that field.. more so when you have a dog to keep an eye on..

as said before.. not all horses like dogs.. some have had bad experiance's with them.. so will behave in an aggressive manner...

just glad your ok