View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Diarrhoea in 8 week old puppy? (Updated @ post 28 after visit to vet)

Hi there, wondering if someone could help me, Wembley has had diarrhoea since yesterday, fairly spaced out, and he isn't in pain nor does he seem to be uncomfortable. I am feeding him Bakers puppy food, same as the breeder was feeding him and he loves it, always looks forward to feeding time.

We went to the vets this morning so he could have his first course of vaccinations, and they refused to vaccinate him due to his dodgy tummy. They said it should clear up by Monday, and it had firmed up a bit, but now he just went again, (outside!) and the colour has gone completely beige and very loose again, like newborn baby poo. The vet said to feed him the same, unless he becomes ill and stops drinking. Will it clear up, or am I destined never to have a vaccinated puppy!?

Thanks
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Please take puppy back to vets - i've had hassle with Gizmo with that and lots other stuff - please get him checked out.

Sorry, don't mean to be a scare-monger but if my case helps anyone then i'll be happy.

Again sorry if it is just a case of the 'Squits'. Better safe than sorry though.

Good luck

Just in case - Moobli kindly posted me this link, so i thought i'd send it to you - just in case.

http://www.submityourarticle.com/art...ency-17681.php
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Better being safe than sorry...I would got to the vets.

Bu he has also gone through a big change (moving house and leaving Mum) so its not uncommon for them to have upset tummies.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2008, 06:36 PM
The stress of leaving home and settling into a new one can cause an upset tummy in pups. Is he quite bright and happy in himself? If he's eating and drinking and there's no blood being passed, I'd keep a close eye on him for the next 12 hours or so.
You can check his hydration levels by lifting the skin at the scruff f his neck-it should return to normal immediately, if it 'tents' it can be suggestive of dehydration. You can also check whether his gums feel moist.
It could also mean that he's due to be wormed again?
Obviously if you're at all worried, take him straight back to your vet.

ETA: Sometimes a change in the water can upset the stomach
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Bakers is complete rubbish. No wonder he is unwell. You need to gradually move him on to a quality puppy food such as Trophy or JWB. He will not thrive unless you do.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 07:02 PM
hiya id say after the move etc his prob a bit scared still, i was told to feed plain boiled rice & small amout of chicken breat for tum aches and when i did this with archie his cleared up the same day

i wouldnt feed him bakers either to be honest it has so many colourings in it that could be affecting his tum?

id take him back back to the vets if the tums last more than 2/3days though
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
I'd go abck to the vets now, puppies can dehydrate alarmingly fast, also make sure you getr palenty of fluids down him. if there a chemist near you could try some glucose to keep his levels up.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Poor pup. It could just be that the pup is stressed after leaving home and mum and into a new environment but pups do dehydrate very quickly indeed, so I would probably take him back to your vets. Is he being sick as well as having the runs? If so, I would take him tonight.

I hope he is feeling better soon.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 07:27 PM
You can get special stuff to put in their water, like rehydrating salt things, from the vet if need be.
I'm guessing form the other posts that your pup has just come home???
They often get upset tums with the change and the stress.I agree with your vets advice, if he gets worse, stops eating and drinking etc then go straight back, if it is just a runyy bum, then see how you go tonight. PUps often get squiffy tums.

Make sure your pup is drinking, check for dehydration (someone else posted who to do that) make sure he has plenty of water over night. If he is eating and drinking normally it could just beone of those things, as long as he is alert and happy. Monitor him carefully and closely and see how you go. If you are in ANY doubt phone the vet.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Get some decent food for him, for a start. Bakers is nothing but crap.

Mine are on Burns and are thriving. James Wellbeloved and Arden Grange are also good, but mine seem to do best on Burns out of all the foods I've tried them with.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >