Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
betty48
New Member!
Female 

30-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Hello new to forum

hello my name is betty ,i have two dogs at the moment,three cats one which has four kittens,my dogs are penny(bitch) a yorkshire terrier who is 1yr old and quinn(bitch)who is 10wks old,i need a little help with quinn as she needs house training and some manners,penny is trained and picked it up in a week and she is a bright sparky little thing and always has been,my mistake is I thought quinn would be the same but she isnt and i love her to bits for her dumb blondness,she is slow and clumsy and just seems to blunder from room to room,im not cageing her and hate them so please nobody tell me thats the only way,ive bought a baby gate and she is in the kitchen,but the howling is driveing me nuts,i know i shouldnt but her and penny sleep on my bed and this i find strange as quinn sleeps thru the night with no accidents and will go out once we wake and go pee in the garden and then it goes downhill from there,i know ive only had her two weeks but i need the housetraing done,she already sits and knows how to lie down as well.also she is rough with penny and bites too hard and hurts her,but then she goes bck for more and im hopeing they work it out as they get on realy well together,thanks for any advice betty
betty48
New Member!
Female 

30-05-2011, 08:47 PM
oh and puppy pads are they better than the newspaper im useing
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 08:51 PM
FWIW I never use anything to encourage my dogs to eliminate indoors. They go outside from day 1 at 7 weeks old to eliminate.

is there a reason you do not do this?

Have you actually TAUGHT your dog where to go ie gone out with her on the lead and treated her whilst going?

Good luck
betty48
New Member!
Female 

31-05-2011, 04:48 AM
yes from day one we carried her outside as soon as she was fed,she gets lots of praise when she does good and that works fine,betty
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 03:54 PM
But do you take Quinn outside to elimiate aftetr feedling, after playtime, after waking up suring the day, after her walk (if she hasn't done anythign whilst out) etc?

Does she follow Penny outside to "go" to?

Iahve to agree with Smokeybear on this - I wouldn't use paper, pads or anythign else that will encourge her to pee/poop indoors. otehrwise what happens when you want her to do it outside?

Just crating her won't mean she will be housetrained any more quickly. Crating and housetraining are two separate things that can be trained at the same time but are for different reasons. Usually a dog won't foul it's crate because it sleeps in there adn they're very clean animals in that respect. But it doesn't mean that if they do do anything in the crate that they're somehow housetrained.

I think if I were in your position the first thing I'd do it remove the paper and clean the floor properly to get rid of any odours. Take her out at appropriate times to eliminate and watch for any signs inbetween those times that she needs to go out too.

Having said all this, you've said that you take her out after she's fed adn praise her. Also that it's working well so are you not following through at other times?
betty48
New Member!
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:57 PM
thanks for the advice,took away the paper and cleaned the floor,also did it with vinager as ive heard this erradicates the smell on the floor,since its been nice weather quinn has taken herself outside which im realy pleased with,she is copying penny and has done it by herself too,and im sure it will get better when she is allowed outside after her 2nd lot of needles on monday,she is getting her chip too so i will feel better when thats done,im at work for four hrs every day and we have had the odd puddle but she is learneing,again thanks betty
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Agree with what has already been said, but it sounds to me as if everything is going OK really, just not as quickly as Penny, so maybe Penny's Mum taught her better, it's a bit like potty training a child, everyone is different .

PS Welcome to Dogsey, hope you enjoy It, Gayle, Kyesh and Jasper
betty48
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2011, 04:27 AM
I think its because quinn was brought up outside and penny was in a cage when i got her