Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Overweight ?

So my daughter has been for a check up tonight so she can get the pill prescribed again,blood pressure is fine but I am a little concerned about her weight.

She has always been chubby,even as a baby & toddler and has never managed to loose the "puppy fat"

Over the past few months she is becoming uncomfortable with her weight,she's about 5ft 2/3 tall and is 10 1/2 stone.
She eats healthy,has the odd packet of crisps,takeaway,takes carrots and celery to school for break,drinks water and juice,not much fizzy pop.

She was absoutely devastated when the nurse told her how heavy she was,so my question is how can I help her shed a few pounds but without making a big deal out of it,her brothers carry no weight whatsoever and the youngest looks like he's been put through a mangle,he's so tall and lean lol
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Does she do any exercise at all?

If she is still at school, maybe suggest a paper round? that is quite a physical task (my lovely mother made me do a 250 house paper round every fortnight!) and she'll earn money at the same time.

Zumba classes are trendy these days so I have been informed...

Dog walking is another obvious one...
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:18 PM
I had a horse throughout my schooldays, as well as rowed, ran and played badminton so i was rat sized! Then i took up marathon running. Then i got rid of the horse, stopped rowing, stopped running after i hurt my foot, sold the horse for uni and now while not overweight i no longer look like a ED case! Exercise is vv important. I'm not sure how old she is, but joining a gym and going with a friend twice a week maybe? or going swimming?
Rowing is a very social sport, and is amazingly efficient at calorie burning, if there is a club near you might be worth looking into?

Exercise is bloody dull if it feels like it is exercise, if it's fun and she can meet some new friends and have some banter during it will be more enjoyable.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Switching white pasta for wholemeal, protein up with lentil soup all the obvious healthy stuff, after that probably if she could find/become involved in an active hobby with others? Maybe zumba with friends, school running club, horseriding, I suppose it depends what her interests are, if she prefers computers n stuff maybe a wii fit game.. Excercise is a big part and the more fat she burns as opposed to lean tissue the better, especially whilst she is young, but it's really got to be about finding something she enjoys and is realistic. lifestyle rather than diet is the approach id take as the change in her shape will happen as a by-product anyway really IMHO
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Btw I cut out take aways and noticed less bloating etc straight away and lost weight. I'm not saying never let her have a take away. But if you only (or I only) have a take away once a week, it's probably the equivalent of having to cut out two meals to be at the calories I should be at or id have to run 10 miles to burn it off so if you think of it that way, it shows just how all the occasional stuff can set you back. BUT occasional to me would ne once a week, to you guys it might be once a month so it depends on your lifestyles what youd want to cut down further on and what you wouldnt. At the end of the day I think switching stuff like whole milk for semi skimmed, canned soups with sugar to homemade vegetable and lentil, pasta with tomato based sauces instead of creamy sauces (wholemeal pasta instead of white) cutting portion sizes dow nm slightly etc is going to avoid making too much focus around weight loss more on health and activity levels up...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Cutting out everything full fat and replacing it with half fat really makes a difference, and after a while, it tastes just the same
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2012, 08:29 AM
TBH, I don't think she is that overweight... I'm 5ft 4ins, and was probably about 11stone by the time I was 17/18 (and I wish I was that now!!).

Puberty in girls gives them figures, puberty in boys seems to make them stretch!!

If she eats fairly healthily, then its possible she isn't exercising enough. She should be doing at least 20mins of something every day.

Zumba is brilliant and loads of fun - it doesn't feel like exercise at all (that's why I do it!), and I enjoy swimming as well.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2012, 08:34 AM
The pill itself can cause weight gain...

She might eat healthy, but how is her portion size? Maybe try reducing the portion size just a little, up the exercise a little and hopefully it'll have an effect. Try and find a sport she might enjoy participating in socially too so it doesn't seem like a chore or a big deal. Dance classes?

I've struggled with my weight all my life. I'm not hugely obese, but I've always been overweight and never managed to fully shift it. So she has my sympathies!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
She might eat healthy, but how is her portion size? Maybe try reducing the portion size just a little, up the exercise a little and hopefully it'll have an effect.

I've struggled with my weight all my life. I'm not hugely obese, but I've always been overweight and never managed to fully shift it. So she has my sympathies!
Agree - it is scary how small a 'portion' of cereal is - 30g!!! I suspect most people put at least 60g of cereal in their bowl as the norm!

For the first time in my life, I am calorie counting (no WW, SW, fad diets etc). I have lost 4lb in two weeks and don't feel deprived of anything, or like I'm on a diet
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2012, 09:25 AM
I would get her into an activity rather than go down the road of monitoring portion sizes or half fat etc.
She's only a youngster after all and I'd be worried about starting a pattern of yo yo dieting or a food complex by putting to much focus on eating habits in a teenage girl.
Changing eating habits can seem like a punishment where a new hobby is a nice and fun thing, extra exercise will get her endorphins going also and helps to improve general mood.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >