Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:29 AM

fox poo

indie continually rolls in fox poo! on every walk without fail! How can i stop her? its a complete nightmare cos it means i have to bath her everyday and she is terrified of baths! so not an easy task to say the least!

Ive tried distracting her, but sometimes she finds it and rolls in it so quick you dont have time to distract her.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

20-04-2005, 08:33 AM
I wish I knew both my dogs love it and they also love rolling in horse poo - lovely!
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Bosun does this too, at every chance he gets he rolls in fox or cow or anything other than dog crap, dead things, half eaten things he is truly disgusting but I've learnt where the foxes toilet is so he goes on the lead when we get near that bit. Jas used to do it but he seems to have grown out of it now he's nearly 4 so I'm hoping Bos' will too...sorry I can't help Jenny I know it is awful
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Yes, I've been there too, but my dogs like to eat it too and then roll in what's left! I have heard tomato ketchup is very good for getting rid of it on their coats though? Maybe someone knows why this works, and has maybe used it, because the smell is very difficult to get rid of even after bathing isn't it!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:41 AM
tis difficult to get her IN the bath let alone get rid of the smell! i get soaked everytime! shes shreaks the entire time!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:42 AM
If you do find a way of stopping them doing this Jenny let me know.

I dont know anybody who has ever managed to stop their dogs rolling in smelly stuff, Fox poo and dead animals are a particular favourite for my two. Sorry am afraid I think your just gonna have to put up with it. Tomato sauce works well as does jif lemon stuff.

Laura
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:43 AM
You can buy dry shampoo so you dont have to bath your dog, not used it myself both my two hate baths but learn to live with them. Cassy hates them the most but has to have one twice a week lol.
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

20-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi

There are lots of ideas and thoughts on why they do this, from trying to mask their own smell so they can stalk game better. If so why roll in another predators smell?. Some say it is sexual a bit like Chanel no 5, others believe it is dominance related and a strong smell suggests strength and power.

My personal belief, and it is only a theory is they are trying to mark their own smell on the Fox faeces or dead animals a sort of further marking of territory. They have glands near shoulder and backs therefore I could be correct. but once again only a thought.

The only things I have known to work and you must do it everytime is noise aversion ie discs or a bottle with stones in or water pistol with some concentrated lemon mixed with water.

Problem with this is you need to be near to have effect. Could also try a citronella collar.

Stan
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:55 AM
hi stan, i have found makin a noise can get her away, but not if i dont pick up on her doing it way way way b4 she actually does it. ie when shes smellin the floor. so i hardly ever catch her at this point.

how annoying
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Tomato ketchup does work, all my dogs at some time have rolled in fox poo, and many years ago I was told about the tomato ketchup thing and it does work, be sure to get the ketchup out after as it looks awful

Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >