Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:07 PM

Had the fright of my life!!!

daphni and asbo have scared the living daylights out of me!!!!!

i took them out for a walk, and im at the OHs so luckily he was here to help me when it all went wrong

i was walking them around the back of the warehouse, and if you follow it round it leads to a wood where they can have a good run and play but we didnt get that far today

i was walking them up towards the turning, they werent on lead because they know where they are and come back when called, ive never had a problem with walking them there and daph has been going there for 2 years. but as we were walking along, daphni scared a pheasant and it started to run, so she took off after it and ran full pelt, and didnt stop when i shouted her. the pheasant jumperd over a wall and daphni followed, pounced of the wall after the ferret, and asbo followed!

this is when i got into a right state, because this wall doesnt go straight into the field. there is an 8 foot drop and stream before the field is level grass

daphni managed to clear the gap that is left by the stream and the electric fence into the field and carried on chasing the pheasant stupid dog!!!!

asbo however didnt make the clearing, fell the 8 foot drop straight into the stream i didnt even dare look over the wall, because i couldnt hear him and thought he was dead!

i heard him whimper so looked over and he was stood in the stream and didnt know how to get out luckily i could get near to the water and manage to coax him out, daphni helped him more than me i couldnt reach him. (at this point she came back to see what the commotion was, and helped him out onto the field)

the problem was i couldnt jump the stream to get on the other side, (its a steep 6 foot verge) so the dogs were on one side and i was on the other.

i phoned james and he came running (its literally 2 minutes walk from his house) and he managed to clear the gap by the stream, walk the dogs round to where the ground was a bit lower and get them back over. daphni just jumped and james carried asbo.

daphni thought it was all just fun and games and when back on the other side was running around like a loon again

asbo luckily is fine! i dont know how, because he fell 8 foot and is so small, i thought he was going to have broken his leg or something, but there is nothing on him, i put him down on the walk back to see if he was limping or anything and he was fine, and soon started running after daphni and was playing with her again.

but jesus christ they gave me a heart attack i have never been so scared in my life!!! im still pretty shaken up, but the dogs i can say are absolutely fine after i got asbo in and bathed him because he was covered in mud, he had some food, and now him and daph are curled up asleep as if they have done nothing wrong!

but im so lucky and so relieved that asbo isnt hurt! i dont know how he managed it to be honest
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Very scarey, I would think that Asbo must have had a real fright! Thank goodness they are both alright.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Very scarey, I would think that Asbo must have had a real fright! Thank goodness they are both alright.
i was so shaken up at the time it was horrible!!! im just amazed that he isnt hurt! he wasnt even too bothered, he didnt like being wet but as soon as he was on the grass he was fine and wandering about. daphni just thought it was a game
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Poor you! I know just how that feels. The two lurchers did something similar to me and my Mum when they were puppies, we were walking off lead just from one beach to another, along the sea wall when suddenly Bizkit got it into her head to chase the seagulls that were sat on the wall, she ran down the path full pelt and leapt the wall, Pharaoh in hot pursuit... Both Mum and I knew there was nothing the other side of this wall but a 12ft steep sloping drop onto rocks and sea and as I ran to the wall I was fully expecting the worst!..

Both dogs had cleared the rocks and hit the sea, Bizkit had swum back to the wall as I looked over and was scrabbling up to a ledge about 6ft down, I jumped over the wall and dropped onto this ledge and hauled her up on to it by her collar, then called for Pharaoh and did the same for him... I then had to lift the shiverring mutts back up over my head to my Mum who hauled them back onto the path!...

Poor Mum said when she saw me jump too she thought we were all dead!... you cant see the ledge from the beach! We didn't know it was there.

Poor doggies were freezing and soaked.. We have never walked them offlead along the sea wall again! ... Only off lead in big fields and woods, if we know the terrain, you never know when theres going to be a seagull, a squirrel or a pheasant do you?

Lesson learned and fortunately not the hardest way!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Poor you! I know just how that feels. The two lurchers did something similar to me and my Mum when they were puppies, we were walking off lead just from one beach to another, along the sea wall when suddenly Bizkit got it into her head to chase the seagulls that were sat on the wall, she ran down the path full pelt and leapt the wall, Pharaoh in hot pursuit... Both Mum and I knew there was nothing the other side of this wall but a 12ft steep sloping drop onto rocks and sea and as I ran to the wall I was fully expecting the worst!..

Both dogs had cleared the rocks and hit the sea, Bizkit had swum back to the wall as I looked over and was scrabbling up to a ledge about 6ft down, I jumped over the wall and dropped onto this ledge and hauled her up on to it by her collar, then called for Pharaoh and did the same for him... I then had to lift the shiverring mutts back up over my head to my Mum who hauled them back onto the path!...

Poor Mum said when she saw me jump too she thought we were all dead!... you cant see the ledge from the beach! We didn't know it was there.

Poor doggies were freezing and soaked.. We have never walked them offlead along the sea wall again! ... Only off lead in big fields and woods, if we know the terrain, you never know when theres going to be a seagull, a squirrel or a pheasant do you?

Lesson learned and fortunately not the hardest way!
i dont think daphni new that there was the drop but shes lucky in that she can jump a fair way and got enough spring off the wall.

the ammount of times ive walked there and not once have they tried to get over the wall. because they know that once we turn left we are going into the woods which daphni loves. all i can say is that it was simply because there was the pheasant. shes chased a couple of rabits but never like i have seen her run today!! she was so fast!
ive never seen a pheasant round there before, a couple of rabbits and crows, sometimes see the odd buzzard but i have never seen a pheasant!!!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh my word I am glad everyone is OK, poor little Asbo

I guess it pays to never be complacent and remember to expect the unexpected, no matter how many times you have done the walk before
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Silly dogs - Sadie also did this sort of thing before - a man who I didn't know heard me shouting and jumped into the storm drain - lifted her up and then jumped up himself then walked off with his family as if it was a daily thing!

Glad their both OK and you're lucky the river wasn't ice!
No worries though now they're OK
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Oh gosh the stuff nightmares are made of ! So glad they were ok !
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I know the feeling! Toby jumped off a cliff when he was younger, must have been a good 10ft to the ground. I was convinced he was either dead or broken but then he jumped up and ran off again Silly boy was stiff for a few days though!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 06:26 PM
OMG! Thank the gods they were okay!! Poor you, i can just imagine the horror as they disappeared.

Silly pups, thank goodness nobody was hurt. Asbo won't be doing that again in a while..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >