Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x_mazzie_x
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Advice Please?

My 3 year old rescue Staffie is not willing to be trained at all.
I'm finding it really difficult to get her attention for training.
I'm giving endless hours trying to train her and she's just not having any of it.

She knows the basics like sit and thats about it. She loses interest really quickly.
Does anyone have any advice or tips?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:48 AM
have you tried clicker training?

what turns her on in every day life (toys/attention/food?)
x_mazzie_x
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I have tried clicker training it worked for a while and again she just lost interest.
She loves bits of chicken and stuff but she just doesnt want to listen (I know she isn't deaf either).
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by x_mazzie_x View Post
My 3 year old rescue Staffie is not willing to be trained at all.
I'm finding it really difficult to get her attention for training.
I'm giving endless hours trying to train her and she's just not having any of it.

She knows the basics like sit and thats about it. She loses interest really quickly.
Does anyone have any advice or tips?
Perhaps your training sessions are a bit too long? Casper doesn't have the focus for long training sessions, unlike Kiki who would probably let me train her for hours. So whereas I'll sit down and train Kiki for, say, 20 minutes solid, Casper will get 5 lots of 4 minutes spread out over the evening.
x_mazzie_x
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Perhaps your training sessions are a bit too long? Casper doesn't have the focus for long training sessions, unlike Kiki who would probably let me train her for hours. So whereas I'll sit down and train Kiki for, say, 20 minutes solid, Casper will get 5 lots of 4 minutes spread out over the evening.

Ah, I will try doing 5 minutes or so here and there.
She's a lovely dog and it's a shame to see her so disobediant.
Anjulian
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Have you tried using a clicker yet? Or food rewards ? Which methods have you already used ? Is she more interested in her toys. Trying to find a food that she really loves should be a good start, often a dog will love little bits of liver. Only using pieces the size of a small pea. Tell us what you have already tried and how you did it, that way you wont get offered advice that you have already tried.
x_mazzie_x
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Anjulian View Post
Have you tried using a clicker yet? Or food rewards ? Which methods have you already used ? Is she more interested in her toys. Trying to find a food that she really loves should be a good start, often a dog will love little bits of liver. Only using pieces the size of a small pea. Tell us what you have already tried and how you did it, that way you wont get offered advice that you have already tried.
I have tried clicker training and it did work for a while but again she just lost interest.
I'm going to try her with little bits of chicken as she loves chicken.
I've tried using just normal training treats but that didn't work, I have also tried it with toys but thats too much of a distraction for her as she'll just run off with the toy.
I think theres too many distractions in my house and I think thats where I am going wrong.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi, I see you live in Birmingham, have you thought of attending any classes where a reputable trainer can show you where you are going wrong and, more importantly how to get it right?

I am afraid that I have never come across a dog that is "not willing to be trained" however I have come across lots of people without the skills, knowledge and experience to enable them to progress.

That is perfectly normal, nobody popped out of the womb knowing about dog training!

http://www.apdt.co.uk/trainers_area....est%20Midlands

If your dog is losing interest really quickly, why do you think that is?

Because you have not made the training interesting. (not great for our egos to hear this but true)

As for being disobedient, again why would a dog BE disobedient?

First of all a dog has to fully understand what you want her to do, sounds like she does not, before she can choose to "disobey".

If she DOES disobey, this must work, as dogs only do what works! So there is more in it for her to ignore you than do what you say.

If you have a long line on your dog, she cannot run away.

It helps if you train in a really boring environment so that you are the most exciting person there, can you get a room to yourself?

Also, if she is not really interested in food, does she eat her meals?

If so, why give them to her for free, feed whilst training, I think you may find her attitude improves, but it sounds like you could do with a few pointers here and there.

If you cannot afford class, maybe some people would allow you to sit in without your dog and spectate?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I train my dogs when we`re out. Because that`s where I want them to behave. But only 5 or 10 minutes at a time. And it has to be fun.