Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 12:48 PM

Oh dear, he's found he likes to swim

After weeks of splashing around on the edge of the pond and the shallow stream Spencer finally took the plunge today and went swimming. Started out with his ball going into the water and him having to stick his head right under to get it. Then he decided he absolutely had to have the stick that was floating a few metres out of his reach so in he went. He swam to the stick, caught it, brought it to us then decided he'd enjoyed his swim so went back in and proceeded to swim in large circles for a few minutes. All 3 of us came home soaked as he very generously shook the excess water he'd brought out all over us.
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-03-2012, 12:50 PM
hahaha they love sharing excess water after a swim.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 03:03 PM
You won`t keep him out now. I find it very useful because they can wash their own mud off.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I couldn't keep him out before He's been paddling for weeks but this is the first time he's actually gone swimming apart from the panicky splashing back to safe ground when he's found himself out of his depth.

I don't really mind to be honest, just means I'll have to warn anyone who wants to stroke him that he's soaking wet.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 04:00 PM
It's great in summer when they like to have a swim - the very best way to keep them cool

Jade, bless her heart, used to love swimming in the sea. We always had her on a harness and long line which was carefully checked each and every time we went out to make sure it was safe.

For a dog that was scared of literally everything, she really was fearless when she hit the water.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Aye, it's fine in summer but I'm gonna have to keep him on a long line in winter I think, don't want to end up on the news for being rescued from a frozen pond!

I took Shadow to the beach once, he was most disgusted at the sea, apparently it didn't taste nice He loved water but part of the fun for him was grabbing mouthfuls and flinging it around. We used to spend hours down by the river in the summer holidays, no worries about the dogs over heating, they practically turned into fishes.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 07:13 PM
i wish phoebe would swim, she wont even put a toe in. i tried ponds, rivers and the sea. even tried getting in first to coax her in.
she even steps around big puddles!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
i wish phoebe would swim, she wont even put a toe in. i tried ponds, rivers and the sea. even tried getting in first to coax her in.
she even steps around big puddles!!
Spencers Boxer friend is a bit like this. He forgets himself when playing with Spen and follows him in but otherwise he jumps over the little stream and picks his way around puddles and muddy patches
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Spencers Boxer friend is a bit like this. He forgets himself when playing with Spen and follows him in but otherwise he jumps over the little stream and picks his way around puddles and muddy patches
Atleast were not the only ones then. Really wish she would swim especially now shes getting older would be a good work out and give her joints a rest.
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 12:30 AM
photos or a video next time. sounds like he's enjoying his self