Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 01:30 PM

Calling all fish experts !

Hi all !

Just got myself a whopping great big aquarium ! So delighted. I've always wanted a huge corner tank, now I have one ! ! It's 330 litres, and HUGE ! ! I have fish already, in a 2meter tank that is cracked and in very bad condition (kind of a rescue story, but long !).

Anyway, reason for post: I have it all set up, will be keeping tropical fish. I've decholorinated (sp?) the water and am currently cycling the tank (to treat the nitrite etc). It's well on it way to maturing ! But i'm just really wondering if anyone on here has other tips on how to avoid New Tank Syndrome? And also what type of fish were the 1st you introduced to the new tank? Platy seem to be the fish of choice, but if anyone has other suggestions i would be glad to hear. My current fish will not be going in until the tank is 100% ready for them.

Cheers
Lisa x
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 02:24 PM
hiya!!

your doign the same as me! ive got a 200 litre tank that im cycling! (for tropicals!)

problem i have now i also have 3 goldfish whicha re in another tank which is bad for nirtite and no matter what i do/water changes etc,... its not coming down!!!

im thinking of putting them in the new tank and letting it cycle like that.......!

and then cycling their little tank and just keeping that as a spare - may end up re-homing them to another home unless they can live in the tropical tank (24/25 degrees) which ive been told they can....

anyhow! all i got told was intreoduce 'hardy' fish - not gupppies (which is what im getting)

how long into the cycle are you??
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
hiya!!

your doign the same as me! ive got a 200 litre tank that im cycling! (for tropicals!)

problem i have now i also have 3 goldfish whicha re in another tank which is bad for nirtite and no matter what i do/water changes etc,... its not coming down!!!

im thinking of putting them in the new tank and letting it cycle like that.......!

and then cycling their little tank and just keeping that as a spare - may end up re-homing them to another home unless they can live in the tropical tank (24/25 degrees) which ive been told they can....

anyhow! all i got told was intreoduce 'hardy' fish - not gupppies (which is what im getting)

how long into the cycle are you??
Hi Suze ! How cool ! Someone else doing it too, we'll have to get pics up of our tanks

I was told hardy fish too, platys or danios are meant to be good. I'm only day 4 of cycling so far. The kit i'm using for cycling says at 1 week to start introducing fish, but I always thought it was about 2 weeks, what about you?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 03:15 PM
omg!!!! were exaclty the sam lmao!!!

im on day 4 too lol!!!

im not sure what to do with my goldies though.....! mite re-home them....

as for cycling.... im sorta letting the tank settle then may add a few fish - i keep getting told different things...

add fish - or dont - then wait a week then add fish and then another saying wait a month!!!! i dont know!!

my goldfish atm are doing well with regular water changes (3/4 times a week) to get them going.... they are doing ace.... im thinking of putting them in the big tank to cycle it then finding them another home unless they can live in tropical tanks???? asi know they will get too big - you have any experience of goldies and tropicals together??

what kit you using????

i stuck sum bacterlife in - and atm obv all my nirtite etc is almost 0,,, but tis gonna take time.... i think tbh as harsh ass it is fish cycling the tank is more natural etc...

will get a pic up!
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 03:46 PM
How weird is that ! ! And just found your other thread too, should of read that before starting another really !

About goldies and tropicals: i have heard they can be kept together, but on one web site I was researching on, it said to avoid this?!?! I am no expert though !

The kit i'm using is Interpet: New Aquarium start up kit. It gives you stuff for decholrinating, filter stuff (for producing bacteria etc), pH and nitrite testing stuff, it also has a step by step guide for each day. Think I'm going to wait till Thursday before getting 1st fish, our PAH get's new stock in on a Wed evening, so will have good choice, hopefully ! And that will be about a week and half. Fingers crossed ! !

I looked into fish cycling aswell, but just couldn't bring myself to purposefully kill the poor fish, I am a bit of sap really. I know it prob will happen, in first few days, but i'm hoping for as little as poss
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 03:50 PM
yep

think im going to move the goldies over tonight into the large tank - they can cycle it - the small tank they are in atm is stupidly small and i was badly informed about it.... so until i can find them a pond (probably spring now) they are going to have to live in the tropical tank lol!

ive read they can and know they can....

its either that or they will most probably die as the nitrite is so high....

your tank sounds cool!!

what you stocking it with??

im after guppys, my mum who hated the idea now completely loves it and 'she' is helping pick them..... lol! to be fair its in her living room so i have to include her lol!
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Here's a pic of aquarium so far. Still not sure on decoration etc, that's work in progress. And the pic doesn't quite capture the size of it. To get to bottom of the tank I have to stand on step ladders and pretty much hang over the side

Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 04:15 PM
mine looks tiny as well!! its 40 inches accross

now have a backing too!

Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
mine looks tiny as well!! its 40 inches accross

now have a backing too!

Looks fab Suze
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 05:09 PM
thanks

just moved my goldies over to the tropical tank - ive read up and it says they can go in 22 - 25c temps - so the heather is set @ 22 - the lower end as most of the tropicals are ok at this (the ones i want)!

then next spring they can go find another home - i know a few people with a pond i can fob em off on lol!

now have a spare tank which im cycling and going to get a few guppies to breed for the tropical tank....... only if the goldies dont eat them lol!

betya well excited about that tank - you could fit sooooo many different types of fish in there!!!!

you intrested in sharks? balas/silver sharks - i wanted these till i fell in love with guppies lol!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >