Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-07-2005, 01:13 PM

Breeding questions!

i was wondering if some off the breeders can answer some questions for me in regrads to Inbreeding,outcross and pure family dogs.

If you want to introduce a new trait into a line off a dog that is not in any other dogs from this pure family how would the dog be outcrossed into a dog which does hold this triat and how can you be sure that the trait has been passed on? is it just trail and error and you breed and just hope?

Also if a certain family has a trait but this trait is not tested ie the dogs are high jumpers, if the dogs are not tested for this triat over 3/4 genarations will the dogs loose this trait? assuming this line is always inbred in the same pure family off dog?
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi very complex subject, heres a couple of links you might find useful
http://www.westwindgsps.com/linebreeding.htm
http://showcase.netins.net/web/royalair/libreeding.htm
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanx 4the links, also 1more question lol... can u breed dogs as tightly as you would or would there be a limit when if cross dogs are deformed etc due to being inbred to much??
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 04:15 PM
depends what behind the bitch and dog? .....any problems no matter how small will be doubled up if you breed to close.
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-07-2005, 04:28 PM
thanx, what is the best way to out cross the dogs? would it be best to out cross it to another pure family? or to just a normal out crossed dog that has that trait?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 04:33 PM
am not sure quite what you mean ....are you tying to bring in certain looks or behaviour ? ..what do you mean by a normal out cross dog ....? compared to a pure family

a bit more info
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-07-2005, 04:37 PM
just say all the dogs in your pure family are black and you want to introduce a new colour would it be best to to breed into a dog which is off pure families so all the other dogs or most are off this other colour or would it be just as effective to breed your dog with a outcrossed dog which happens to be off that colour?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 04:41 PM
if i were breeding for colour dominace then i would use a dog with the correct coloured background ....... because the cavalier has whole colour and a parti colours I would not use a dog with a parti colour background on my whole colours incase i got white markings come through ........on the other hand if i am breeding for health a little white mark would not put me off if the health was good from the stud