View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dlboxerdog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Incorporating your thoughts about Buddha into my training methods.

Thanks, again, to Hali and all of you "Brits" for responses and suggestions about training Buddha. I did take the dogs to the wildlife sanctuary where dogs are allowed to be off leash today. I saw a car with a man and two young boys about to take off on a walk. I stopped and asked if he minded if I let my dogs out, and he said, "We would love it!"

Once you have seen your dog nip at someone, I wonded if the paranoia ever goes away? With some trepidation, I let Shelly out first, then let go of Buddha's collar. Lastly, I helped Rocket, my blind guy, out of the Jeep. All three were the most perfect Boxers, full of kisses and wiggly butts! The children just loved the dogs and all were amazed at how well Rocket gets around just by hearing sounds.

After that, I went to a hunting store called Gander Mountain. It has kayaks and canoes and all sorts of out door gear, including dog training aids. There must have been 20 different training packages with various features, and the most expensive was over $300 (with GPS). I did find a citronella collar, and although I am too broke to buy it today, I will return to get it soon.

When we are in the house, Buddha minds very well about barking. He stops immediately and doesn't resume. Hali's idea about containing him while I am at work is something I will consider, but sometimes I have to work longer than 8 hours.

I am used to letting my dogs have the freedom to be in the heated garage during the winter and use the dog door when they have to go potty. Until I get a handle on Buddha's barking, I will see if I can keep him in the house.

I did visit with my neighbor on the other side today. They have a delightful little herding dog that I love. They chain her out as their yard is not fenced. She was able to come within inches of my fence, with Buddha on the inside of my fence, and I could tell he loved her. His tail was going a mile a minute, and so was hers. He was barking, however. But so was she.

I went over to visit my neighbors and thank them for being so kind and patient with me, a dog rescuer, and for putting up with all the Boxers that have come and gone in the past 7 years I have lived here. Gina just shrugged her shoulders and said, "We understand what you are doing." They do cat rescue, bless their hearts.

Gina did say she approached my yard and Buddha barked in an aggressive way, but was wagging his tail at the same time. I told her, for the time being, not to come into my yard, that when Spring comes and we all are outside all the time, we will do introductions then, and she and her family will feel comfortable with Buddha and he with them.

One other item I found at Gander Mountain is called a "Zone Inhibitor". It is for using on couches or around shrubbery or anywhere you don't want your dog to go. Taking Hali's idea, I thought it might work if I hang it on the fence between me and the neighbors (Karl and Deb) who don't like me or Buddha. That and the citronella collar might just keep the peace.

Most of you didn't get to read the post Karl wrote to Dogsey, because it was deleted after I complained to Dogsey Administration about his threats. He implied he would throw fire crackers or fire works into my yard to scare my dogs. Those are the neighbors who frighten me.

I have enjoyed this very civil discussion on a topic that could become very heated in some chat groups.

Thanks so much to all of you who have written. Best regards, Diana
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Having just read that about one of your neighbours I can now understand your desperation to try anything to keep Bhuddha quiet and therefore safe. Hopefully the other suggestions will work, but if not, I personally won't judge you if you need to try other options less favoured by us Brits.

Good luck and please do keep us posted on his progress.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Quote "He implied he would throw fire crackers or fire works into my yard to scare my dogs"

I still can't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of registering on Dogsey just to make that kind of remark, surely even someone with a full frontal lobotomy would know that the words can be 'printed of' and used as evidence, if you want to threaten someone surely it's much better to do it verbally which is highly unlikely to be recorded and you are thus unable to have it proved against you (if it ever came to court) The guy is not only a bully but a brainless one at that.