Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2011, 08:13 AM

Dog ramps for cars (4x4)

I am thinking of getting a dog ramp for Millie to gain access to the car,

She suffers with her back (spondylosis) and sometimes out of the blue seems to trap a nerve, when this happens she is in quite a bit of pain.

We have also noticed over the last few mths, that after exersice she does nto have the energy to jump back into the boot of the car, on Sunday , after a walk , she was particularly tired, and as she jumped in, (I dont know what happened) she started to scream, with her half in and half out, and squirming , I tried to lift her in, (with her trying to bite me for the in the process ) she didn't though, poor girl was in so much pain, so I am beginning to think a little help may be needed , so other than picking her up and lifting her out every time (my back will suffer) I was wondering about a ramp.

Trouble is , they all seem to be heavy and cumbersome, so was wondering if anyone has used one and what you think!

Have had a look at this one............

http://www.kingstown.net/ramp/rampcontent.html#tele

But need a few recommendations, a fried had one a few years ago for her GSD, but 1) he would not go up it, 2) it was heavier than him to pick up
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi Jackie, I've recently bought the Petgear 2 part plastic folding ramp, just like the one on the top right in your link.

It's lightweight, it has a fantastic grip surface which Georgie has really dug into and scratched, so that's a real MUST have with one of these ramps.

The only problem with it is, it's quite steep for normal car parks, but if I park where there's some kind of raised verge behind me, I can then get it level if you know what I mean, which is easier for him, although he does manage to walk up it on level ground. He's a big, heavy 55kg dog so if he can do it I'm sure Millie will find it beneficial, in fact, I just couldn't do without it now for my return from a walk.

My ramp cost me £49 so if that's cheaper than the one you find, I'll look up where I got it from for you ok. In my opinion, with your big 4 x 4 I think you ought to go for the 3 folds perhaps, as it would be more level?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Hi Jackie, I've recently bought the Petgear 2 part plastic folding ramp, just like the one on the top right in your link.

It's lightweight, it has a fantastic grip surface which Georgie has really dug into and scratched, so that's a real MUST have with one of these ramps.

The only problem with it is, it's quite steep for normal car parks, but if I park where there's some kind of raised verge behind me, I can then get it level if you know what I mean, which is easier for him, although he does manage to walk up it on level ground. He's a big, heavy 55kg dog so if he can do it I'm sure Millie will find it beneficial, in fact, I just couldn't do without it now for my return from a walk.

My ramp cost me £49 so if that's cheaper than the one you find, I'll look up where I got it from for you ok. In my opinion, with your big 4 x 4 I think you ought to go for the 3 folds perhaps, as it would be more level?
Thanks H for that, do you find them heavy to maneuver and where do you store it int he car.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 09:02 AM
I did buy a car ramp a couple of years ago for Flame (GSD), as she can no longer jump into the back of my pick-up. Unfortunately I found it so heavy and it took up so much room that I ended donating it to a GSD Rescue raffle and I just lift her instead!

I can't remember where I got it from now though
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 09:03 AM
We have one and store it behind the back seats but we never have back seat passengers I would imagine that wouldn't work if we did.

BTW I found it heavier than Mollie so we tend to only use it if my husband is there and can man handle it out of the car.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 09:11 AM
I bought a ramp for our old Springer who had arthritis and HD. It was so heavy and bulky in the car I stopped using it and bought a small plastic lightweight thing with 2 steps (for getting things off the top shelf in kitchen cupboards). This was much easier to manage and the dog had no problems with it. The ramp was then recommissioned when Ollie was a pup and couldn't get up the step into the kitchen.

majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading the ramp I have for Max now he is getting older and using it more. We bought ours rather hurridly when he pulled a muscle in his back one night and we had to get something there and then rather than wait for one to be delivered. We were also limited as some ramps only held up to 50 kg.

Mine is a two fold ramp (used on a CRV), it is very heavy and rather cumbersome. Mine is a rigid plastic one and Dave had to put wooden batton on it so Max could climb up it as he could not grip the plastic. It worked as an emergency for those few days when Max was limited mobility wise. He is using it more now so my ideal ramp would be much lighter, telescopic and with a surface that was easy to grip - not the rigid plastic style. The aluminimum ones on your link look quite good. I store mine on the floor behind the front seats, I rarely have rear seat passengers. If he is somewhere he is on lead it is quite difficult to reach into the car and drag a heavy two fold ramp out, taking care not to scuff your seats or damage your paint work so size and weight is really important.

Max hated it initially but that was because he had to get used to using it overnight. He is a lot more used to it now. The only advice I would offer is start with it really low, on a kerb say, to get Millie used to using it and gradually build up the height.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 11:23 AM
This is the one I have

http://www.kingstown.net/ramp/index.htm

Its got the 3 sections so is not too steep and its not at all slippy as its got a good grip surface so they can feel confident on it.
I got it for Shady when she done her cruciate ligament and have now been using it for Kyiro as he must not jump down on his foot.
It folds up neatly with a carry handle and I paid about £50 for it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I see Maxine has the PetGear one there, but it looks a lot bigger than mine. I can shove mine on the front passenger seat, so it's as wide as the seat and the door shuts, and folded in half, it uses all the room sitting on the passenger seat. If Dave comes with me of course, it gets put in the back on its side, and both dogs fit in there comfortably with it in the back, but I have my back seats down permanently on the estate car. It's just left on the driveway when I don't have Georgie with me though.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Mixed opinions then , love the pic of Oliie making use of his will have a look into it , and see what I think.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >