Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Breeding my Friesian

Hi There,

Thought i'd let you guys in on the secret!! Im planning to breed my friesian mare to this gorgeous Knabstrupper stallion:

http://www.tresaisonstud.co.uk/nobodys_harlequin.htm

Not sure when i will put her in foal, depends on what time the vet says is best for her, he's coming out to see her just to check all is ok for breeding her and to give me some advice.

I will be guaranteed to get a spotty foal, the pattern is rather hit and miss which should make foaling an interesting experience. It could come out with 2 spots on its bum, or completely spotty all over

Anyway, here's a few other friesian x appaloosas to give you an idea of what i might get if im lucky:

greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:39 PM
They are beautiful - such lovely markings. Aren't Appaloosa descended from Native American Indian horses ?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:39 PM
How old is she? Why not cover her with a Fresian?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
They are beautiful - such lovely markings. Aren't Appaloosa descended from Native American Indian horses ?
Appaloosas are, yes

The stallion i hope to use is a Knabstrupper from Denmark i believe, so more of a Sports Horse. Its a different breed to an appaloosa which look more like Quarter Horses but easier to just say Appaloosa as everyone knows what they are

Dawn - Una is 3 at the moment. I probably wont put her in foal until next year, but depends what the vet says (and i am talking to several breeders including the people i bought Una from). I've never bred a horse before so i am taking all the advice i can get

If i was breeding a foal to sell i would put her to a friesian as they are very sought after, especially with Una's bloodlines. But as im breeding it for myself and i will probably only ever breed this one foal from her, im going for what i like and want. Im hoping to breed myself a future riding/competition horse and the Sports Horse side of the Knabstrupper will add a bit of refinement to the foal, and also where Una's weakest points are (her backend) he excells so it should be a good match conformation wise
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh, they're absolutely beautiful. Of the pictures you posted, I love 1 and 3 - would be wonderful to paint! Hope everything goes well, your girl is beautiful too.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Yep, 4 is good!! My friend bred hers at 4, she was fine, she is a TB tough. I like Fresians but have a "thing" about feathers on legs, Id be clipping them off!!!

I WILL find the pic of the Appiano for you that belongs to another friend, I think you will like him. He jumps like a stag!!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
What on earth is an Appiano???

I will be the first to admit that i know nothing about breeding horses. I have worked on studs with foals and youngsters, but never got involved in the actually breeding so i am getting advice from EVERYONE knowledgeable!!

I love the feathers! and the mane, sooooo pretty!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
What on earth is an Appiano???

I will be the first to admit that i know nothing about breeding horses. I have worked on studs with foals and youngsters, but never got involved in the actually breeding so i am getting advice from EVERYONE knowledgeable!!

I love the feathers! and the mane, sooooo pretty!
Its a colour, I hadnt heard of it either!! This is his father.

http://www.rainbowstud.co.uk/images_bandits.html
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its a colour, I hadnt heard of it either!! This is his father.

http://www.rainbowstud.co.uk/images_bandits.html
Wow... that is weird! He's appaloosa and piebald?? Pretty, but very odd

Never seen one of those before, thanks for the link!!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Beautiful, I love the 3rd one, looks like a little Zebra
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >