Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 08:04 PM

In Praise of Chappie

Recently going through a food change with my 2 and have taken them off AG because for the money it was costing me, it didnt seem to be doing wonders.

Anyway, i'd been having problems with my collie...very lethargic, overweight but nothing would seem to remove the excess kg's. The vet brought up the subject of thyroid problems and suggested the test if he didnt improve.

I decided to put him on Chappie Complete even though it's cheap, made with nasty derivatives etc but i'd heard good things and it's low in fat.

Well, he's like a new dog! He's had 2 agility classes this week and normally he'd simply go under the jumps and just meander over all the obstacles at a snails pace. This week however he's flew over the jumps, done the weaves in double time and ran (instead of walked) over the dogwalk!

Normally when he's playing chase with Flynn, he runs for a few seconds then gives up because he cant catch him. Now, Flynn is having to watch his back as Jed has been running flat out and actually keeping up enough to nip his bum!

So, apart from it doing wonders for his energy levels, he also appears to have lost weight (will have to weigh him for sure), his coat is still lovely and glossy and he seems a much happier dog.

I think i've finally found Jed a suitable food and surprisingly, it's in the guise of an age old, cheap brand which many people turn their noses up at (me included!).

Just got to find Flynn's perfect food...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 08:11 PM
I've always thought Chappie was "cheap and cheerful" - my dad used to feed it to our dogs when I was a kid.

Since joining Dogsey, though, I've heard it has brilliant qualities, especially where delicate tums are concerned.

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 08:14 PM
There's a lot to be said for that Chappie quite honestly! I even had it recommended to me once by a vet! I remember you went onto the raw when I last did too? I've changed back to kibble now coz it didn't suit Georgie with his skin probs, so I had to go back to a hypoallergenic one, which he's now bored with and won't eat breakfast of! I might try this chappie, coz at the moment I'm having to open a tin of pilchards or tuna for Georgie to eat his ab's with a meal at breakfast time. It's fish and cereal based, and I don't think it's got additives either, but I could be wrong there. Thanks for the tip Leanne, I might follow you yet again with this one!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 08:25 PM
My last dog has IBS and the only type of tinned meat he could have was chappie or butchers tripe, anything else just went straight through him and inflamed the condition for days.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Mine have Chappie too, they also have Troy,plus a mix, I know alot of people have different idea's, but I've always fed mine Chappie....for years now.
So thats why mine run like the wind EH!
It suits mine so I'll stick to it. They love it. And I've had them live to rip old ages....
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 05:10 AM
Shady was always in the vets until she went onto tinned Chappie. So thats what she has been fed since and will continue to be fed always. She has really thrived on it.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I have fed Chappie as a short term recovery food and was very pleased with the results.
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Chappie is a very good food
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't feed it myself, but I have heard that a lot of vets swear by it.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 05:32 PM
It was recommended to me by a vet for our last Lurcher and she thrived on it to 17 yrs of age.
I haven't put Mo on it cos I just carried on with what her previous owner had been feeding her (Butchers Tripe).
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »