Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 08:44 AM

Feel like I'm being ripped off - Car Keys

We only have 1 set of car keys, so yesterday my oh suggested I drove down the the Main Dealers to get a duplicate key and remote! I nearly fell over - how much?
Just a mere 230 euros!

Now I may be a woman and not know a lot about cars, but this does seem a little exessive for keys, I was told that they had to reset the computer of the car even so, do you think I've been had?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-02-2008, 09:00 AM
A lot depends on the make and year. If it was a newish Mercedes or Porsche that could be the correct price. These cars are high on the list of 'stealable' vehicles and therefore the makers have been forced to spend a lot on being one jump ahead of the thieves and IIRC they maintain a data base of all keys including 'extra' ones - this must cost something to maintain & keep up to date, plus if there is reprogramming of the engine involved well that's more labour time.

Further down the scale the 'stealability' is not so high so the security data base isn't so good and maybe the maker doesn't even have one so it should be less.

I think I would be gobsmacked at 239 Euros as well.

Is there another dealer nearby you can ask?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Crickey - I know keys are much more 'complicated' these days, but that does sound a huge amount?

What make of car is it? I would be tempted to contact the manufacturers central customer care through their website just to find out what a standard charge would be.
standardnuttydo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi

I have a VW Beetle conv. and when I was out dog walking I lost my key in Windsor park, I hunted everywhere even had the poo bin out but never found it, so I had to buy another and they said the same about the computer etc. it cost £150.00 and I was shocked...an expensive walk lets hope the dogs enjoyed it. Anne
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

26-02-2008, 09:31 AM
I priced a key for my little Renault Clio and it was £120. 00 That was a couple of years ago and its an old S Reg.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 10:13 AM
paid £130 4 years ago for a second key for an corsa we bought
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I think a lot of the pricing is dependent on competition from nearby garages

i have a 9 year old ford puma and only one key so when i went to get a new one i was quoted €250 + tax!!!!!!!

you can get the keys on ebay unchipped for €30ish and then get them coded but you would have to go the garage for that - the smartass at my garage quoted me ........... €250 + tax!

I have decided that im going to take my chances and only going to replace it when its necessary so wish me luck
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Crickey I haven't had to get a new key for at least 15 years and I'm really shocked at these prices, we currently only have one key, it's not any fancy car but I've decided to be a lot more careful (Like Zoby) about keeping it safe
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 02:06 PM
I got two keys and fobs with my car,,thank god, I WILL defo insist on two when upgrading the car now I know what they cost, wonder how much for a volvo s40
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Keys are really expensive I know. It's even more annoying that they don't come gold plated the price they charge.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >