Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MelG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2009, 09:10 PM

worried about signs of an infection

Hi, I am getting increasingly worried about Lola, the story so far is.......
I have a 12 wk old puppy boxer. We took her to our family vet on friday after picking her up to have her checked over and to get her imms done. I had noticed a little yellow discharge around her vagina and mentioned this to the vet. She had a look and said that there was no redness, but she did have a temp. Otherwise she seemed to be in good shape, a little on the quiet side, but no obvious health problems. She has been perscribed some antibiotics which she has been taking since friday night, but there is still evidence of discharge still this evening! I am getting worried that there might be something really wrong. She seems to be eating and drinking ok, but does still seem to be on the quiet side, though she does have her moments of puppy madness! She is seeing the vet wednesday morning to get her imms done as she could'nt have them done on friday due to the temp. Am I worring needlessly, I am sure that puppies are just like babies and of course are prone to pick up infections from time to time or should I get her back to the vet before wednesday?
I am probably acting like an over proctective new mum, but we have just lost our king charles spaniel Hannah to a heart condition which devestated the family especially my 10year old daughter! I have never had a puppy before, as when we got Hannah, she was almost a year old Has anyone had any experience of a similar prob? Am I getting knicker twisted over something simple?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by MelG View Post
Hi, I am getting increasingly worried about Lola, the story so far is.......
I have a 12 wk old puppy boxer. We took her to our family vet on friday after picking her up to have her checked over and to get her imms done. I had noticed a little yellow discharge around her vagina and mentioned this to the vet. She had a look and said that there was no redness, but she did have a temp. Otherwise she seemed to be in good shape, a little on the quiet side, but no obvious health problems. She has been perscribed some antibiotics which she has been taking since friday night, but there is still evidence of discharge still this evening! I am getting worried that there might be something really wrong. She seems to be eating and drinking ok, but does still seem to be on the quiet side, though she does have her moments of puppy madness! She is seeing the vet wednesday morning to get her imms done as she could'nt have them done on friday due to the temp. Am I worring needlessly, I am sure that puppies are just like babies and of course are prone to pick up infections from time to time or should I get her back to the vet before wednesday?
I am probably acting like an over proctective new mum, but we have just lost our king charles spaniel Hannah to a heart condition which devestated the family especially my 10year old daughter! I have never had a puppy before, as when we got Hannah, she was almost a year old Has anyone had any experience of a similar prob? Am I getting knicker twisted over something simple?
hi,
try not to worry too much,this sounds to me like 'juvinile vaginitis' the ab's shes on should sort it out,i would advise getting pro-biotics from your vet though,as puppys are laying down their gut bacteria and the ab's will kill this off
good luck.
eta..as annoying as it may be,i would advise a week free of ab's before giving her ,her vacs.but thats up to you and your vet.
MelG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for that. It has put my mind at rest! Oh my gosh, I am turning into one of those pet owners from hell! Constantly paranoid and worrying needlessly. Need to chill a bit!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks for that. It has put my mind at rest! Oh my gosh, I am turning into one of those pet owners from hell! Constantly paranoid and worrying needlessly. Need to chill a bit!
no probs ,
we all worry
no chance to chill with a boxer pup!!! fun fun fun
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Not at all I fully understand your concerns, you want the best for your pup, and who can blame you she is lovely. Just go with the vet's advice, it probs is juvenile vaginitis.

Elaine x