Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Potty Problems

Ok I was sure if this was the correct spot for this thread but here is goes anyway. As most of you know I have a 6 month old Aussie. He is extremely smart and is learning things very fast. The only problem that I am having with him is that he doesnt make any sort of a gesture that he has to go out. He just stops and goes. When he does this I yell no and give him a smack on the butt and take him outside and he potties and then does his usual happy dance cause he knows he did right. But I cant get him to tell me that hes got to go out. I could be in the middle of playing with him and he will stop and tinkle, out of no where and with no warning. I dont get it. But he doesnt go in the crate during the 6 hours Im at work, its just when hes out. Anyone have any tips??
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Anyone????
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2007, 02:18 AM
Well first, stop smacking him on the butt. Thats not accomplishing anything and will most likely cause him to consider you unpredictable, as he has no idea why you are hitting him.

First I would get him checked to be certain he isn't harboring an infection that makes him "gotta go right now!"

Then, i would go back to basics. Out of the crate, straight out to potty. GOing in the crate, out to potty first. Going for a play session, out to potty first. Just had a meal, out to potty. Soon your dog will get into the routine of going to the door at certain times to go out. Sounds like at six months he hasn't picked up on a routine yet. Dogs are creatures of habit.

If you want, you can teach him to ring a bell at the back door. Tie several bells on a string to your doorknob.
Teach your dog a "touch" command. Get out your clicker. Pick an object to start with. I used a plastic lid for my target. I played with her with it, tossing it up in the air (basically doing whatever to get her interested) then put it on the ground and clicked when she touched it with her paw, and gave her a treat. You have a smart breed so he should pick up very quickly that you want him to touch this thing with his paw. Introduce the word. Once he had "touch " down with the target, try to get him to touch other things. Finally. When its time to go outside. Have him sit at the door and "touch" the bell string. Then take him out. Have him touch the bell string everytime you go outside to potty. Pretty soon he will realize that if he rings the bells, the door will open and he can go out.

Sorry if that is long winded, but I hope it helps get you started.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2007, 05:37 AM
All good advice above. The only thing I would add is teach him to go on command. So when he does go outside give it a name. That way you can ask him to go out and have a wee every couple of hours while he's out of his crate. Its very useful, esp on journeys or while on holiday with your dog. Every time you stop for a rest you can get them to "go".....
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2007, 12:50 PM
muttzrule: I dont beat the living daylights out of him (sometimes I want to though. LOL) Its just a little bump on the butt. Not even enough to sting my hand.

He does go out to potty before going into the crate and right when he comes out. He also knows that target command from Agility class. I have done the go potty thing with him. I tell him to go peepee and he does and poops for the other. He does very well with that. Its just that I could be playing, training, or he could being playing by himself and there is no warning when he goes. He just does. I mean he doesnt even sniff the ground or anything. No cirlces like he does outside, nothing. Just sqauts and goes. And the other thing is its only pee, (He has olny pooped in the house a couple times and that was a long time ago). He has been checked out by the vet and nothing is wrong with him. They told me its all behavioral.

Do you guys find the bell thing works?? I have heard about it.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2007, 02:15 PM
i agree with the bell idea. I have had great success with teaching clients dogs to use the bell to ask to go out.
unless you teach your dog how to ask, or they accidently figure out by say barking, then they dont know how to ask.

ive found most dogs pick up the bell thing within a week of introducing the 'touch' command to the bell.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2007, 09:20 PM
He is still just a baby so gets excited when he is playing with you. I would still treat him as though he was still a tiny pup and stop the play etc at regular intervals and take him out in the garden for a wee.

You have to try to never give him the opportunity to wee indoors - so take him out every hour or so and always after eating, drinking, playing and waking up. It sounds as though he really enjoys his play sessions and just goes where he is through excitement.

Pups very rarely toilet in their crates as they don't like to foul the place where they sleep. Still take him out regularly and he will get there - consistency and patience really do pay off. I would never tell him off for going indoors as he won't realise that it is the place he is going which displeases you but will associate the displeasure with the act of going to the toilet and so create even more problems for you. Dogs that have been told off for weeing indoors will often then hide somewhere to wee indoors - definitely not what you are hoping to achieve. If he does wee indoors, ignore it, clean it up and up the number of times you take him out. In the excitement of playing they can forget they need to go - just like small children can - and end up having an accident.