Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Billy No Mates works..........BUT..!!!!

Yesterday morning Jimmi trundled out into the garden for a wee and a mooch after his breakfast and as usual came to join husband and myself as we had our coffee in bed.

I noticed something moving on his shoulder and went to remove it - opened my fingers to see what it was and pinnnngggggg it leapt high into the air Eeek, I said to husband, that was a flea.........and on quick inspection it came with many many friends, Jimmi was absolutely covered in them. Talk about synchronised bed evacuation! We were out of there like a shot, with Jimmi looking affronted at our rapid desertion of his normal routine. It can only have been a few seconds later that I peered at him again, and the fleas were abandoning dog like rats from a sinking ship, shooting off in all directions. Within five minutes he was totally flea free, I checked and checked again and again - no dirt, no flea, no nothing.

HOWEVER, we now had goodness knows how many fleas pinging around the bedroom, and almost immediately I was bitten on the leg, again and again. My planned leisurely day turned into a frenzy of hoovering, spraying flea stuff, hoovering, washing, spraying flea stuff, checking dog, scratching, ordering a flea trap on tinternet, washing......oh, and putting the dreaded Frontline on Jimmi just in case he decided to carry a load more inside, which resulted in a desperately miserable dog for 12 hours. (I just hope that it doesn't set off his paw troubles). I am now scratching those bites madly, in spite of antihistamine cream - Jimmi however is totally itch free

Oh yes, BNM definitely works - perhaps I should take some of it each day myself.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Another reason I do not have dogs in my bedroom or on my bed!

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:20 PM
What do you think it was then? Do you think he disturbed something that was covered in fleas?

I'm itching thinking about this - hoppy fleas love me and it's my lifetime's task to make sure my pets stay totally flea free.

I've walked into someone's house in the past and been instantly leapt on around the feet and ankles by lots of them and the houseowner horrified because they had no idea they had fleas in their carpets! Very embarrassing.

I did laugh envisaging you two with your cuppas one minute and the next leaping about like loonies!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh no. Thankfully phoebe never had them and i dont even treat her for fleas.
But this will make you itch. About 7 years ago i had this boyfriend who lived with his mum and their house looked like something off "how clean is your house?" i used to try and never stay there but i did one weekend and kept coming out in spots i phoned my mum on my way home sunday and told her i had chicken pox. She laughed so much because ild already had them. She stoped laughing when i got home and saw i was covered head to toe in spots. She took me to dr next morning who informed us i was covered head to toe in flea bites. Next time at boyfriend i looked around and could see them bouncing around and found this rolled up carpet that looked alive it had so many fleas on it. I hauled this carpet and dropped it out of window and made boyfriend phone council for somebody to fumeagate the house. My mum made me strip next to washer everytime i got home from his for weeks after. We didnt stay together much longer after that as i learnt what a minger he really was
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Another reason I do not have dogs in my bedroom or on my bed!

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was my thought!

I have run out of Billy No Mates and found a tick on Flynn this morning, also found one on Jessie that hadnt yet burrowed and was just walking about on her muzzle, so I need to get some sharpish.

Just out of interest, can dogs catch fleas off rabbits? They have caught a couple recently and the rabbits have been crawling with them which have then jumped off into my garage
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
That was my thought!

I have run out of Billy No Mates and found a tick on Flynn this morning, also found one on Jessie that hadnt yet burrowed and was just walking about on her muzzle, so I need to get some sharpish.

Just out of interest, can dogs catch fleas off rabbits? They have caught a couple recently and the rabbits have been crawling with them which have then jumped off into my garage
Dogs can catch fleas off any animal, cats, dogs, hedgehogs, rabbits..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:40 PM
But do the fleas then live on the dog and infest them? I thought there were different types of fleas that lived on different animals?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
But do the fleas then live on the dog and infest them? I thought there were different types of fleas that lived on different animals?
All I know is that cat fleas hurt and my sister is allergic to them.

I would look it up but it's making me itch and not to mention the fact I have to look through Louie again for ticks incase he caught one - how the hell do I remove them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea

Hmm no such thing as rabbit fleas or hedgehog fleas so they must be one type of flea that can inhabit other animals.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:43 PM
With a tick removing tool? Lol!

They are a good piece of kit.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Romove tick with a fork. Get tick between prongs of fork then twist. Dont pull! Try not to kill tick either as makes it harder and dont pop it very messy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >