Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Sudden deterioration in behaviour?

Ok, so a bit of background. We've had Jake for 7yrs and he's 8yo. We've has Jasper since begining of January, and he's 2-3yo. Both are ex-strays. My Dad looks after them both during the day, Dad was a carer for my Nan, at my Nan's house.

My Nan died just over two weeks ago and since then we have seen a sudden deterioration in both their behaviours. In some instances, they have reverted back to almost how they where when we got them - crying / whining when in the car, being clingy and running off & hiding in the house when someone raises their voice (like my husband last night when he cheered Liverpool's goals).

They have also started barking in the car at anything that comes near them - pedestrians, birds, leaves on the trees etc. When Dad walks them during the day, he said they've started lunging at other dogs, barking.

Jake has always had 'odd' phobias - like men in day-glo jackets and cyclists.

I stopped using certain treats as they seemed to have them "hyper".

I understand their routine had changed drastically with Nan's death and Jake had had that routine for 7yrs so it's bound to be unsettling for them. I should also say they do seem to slightly behave better for me, than they do with my Dad.

Of course, I may be barking up the wrong tree, and Nan's death is irrelavent, but it seems to have all started around that time.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of contacting a dog behaviourist - does anyone have any recommendations in the Merseyside area?

Hope this makes sense, and sorry if I've rambled.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 07:25 PM
It may just be that after your nans death the dogs sort of took back seat for a while. There is so much going on when someone dies that the pets in the house often get (not overlooked) but just the minimum. Spend as much time as possible with them and work on geting them back to where they were.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Could it be that your dad is having difficulty coping? And the dogs are becoming anxious?
I agree that a behaviourist is a good idea. Have a look on this site:
http://www.apdt.co.uk/local_dog_trainers.asp
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 07:40 PM
I am assuming they were cared for in your nan's house by your dad while you were out at work? Did they used to spend a lot of time with your nan? I mean your dad's routine and day must have changed a lot now he doesn't have your nan to care for.

As for the barking - I'm having a bit of a problem with my minpin at the mo.

Our downstairs door access window broke in a storm and the stray cats were leaping into the building through the broken window. Some doltheads were allowing them into the lifts with them then, when they get out they are of course trapped on a floor until someone notices them and puts them on the fire stairs where they can get back down.

I had NO idea what was making Bella bark at night last week I just knew there was 'no one outside the door' (you can hear when people come and go and see the light go on under the door).

It was only when I found a nice heap of catpoo outside my door I realised what was happening. And the next time she barked I opened the door and there was a cat! Bella could obviously 'smell' it. The upshot is that the door is now fixed but Bella is now barking at every slight noise in the evenings. Whereas she did not bark at the neighbours at all - not even if it was visitors she'd seen before. She doesn't even bark when they knock at the door.

Just giving this as an example that sometimes when something unsettles them, it can have a bit of a lasting effect I suppose.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I am no expert, far from it but my dad died in December and my dog Lana has become more anxious, barks at people in the street, barks at people she knows when I stop to talk to them. She has also become more anxious when I go out and starts barking and whining within about 3 minutes. She was never very good at being left alone but I could often go out for about 30 minutes and she was fine, now it's down to zero again

I saw the behaviourist nurse at the vets today as I wanted referred to a behaviourist and asked if my dads death could be affecting Lana and she agreed. I know I am putting human emotions onto Lana when I think that her gramps disappeared and so she's worried that her mum disappears to. Of course it could ust be that she's picking up emotions from me.

Luckily I got the referral to the behaviourist so will be phoning soon about an appointment.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I checked the website (adpt) and am in touch with a behavourist.

Dad's feeling quite bewildered as his sole occupation for the last decade was caring for my Nan (and Granddad, when he was alive), so I think he's reacting to the dogs, and the dogs are reacting to him - bit of a vicious circle.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 10:50 AM
A reputable behaviourist who generally will not see you except via a vet referral, may be able to help you.

The APBC will only accept membership from those who have the relevant degree and experience.

COAPE have similar restrictions as do UKRCB

The APDT is one of the many professional bodies for dog trainers , not behaviourists.

http://www.apbc.org.uk/
http://www.capbt.org/
http://www.ukrcb.org/members/

However I think time may be a big factor here......

HTH