Anistel

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Rottie, Newfie, & springer
09-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #1

Why a sudden change / relapse in my Spaniels behaviour

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Border Collies
09-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #2

Re: Why a sudden change / relapse in my Spaniels behaviour

immediate thought would be the possibility of a season - that can affect a bitch's behaviour considerably.

Assuming that it isn't that, I would get her checked over by the vet as the other strong possible sudden change in behaviour could be down to pain/discomfort.

If there doesn't seem to be any physical reason, its possible that she's getting a little bored and needs more to challenge her mind. You mention about physical exercise, but not about mental exercise - springers do tend to need to work their minds as well as their bodies. 'Find it' games are often an easy way to do that, along with some short spells of training (which could be obedience, tricks or even jobs to help you around the house).

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Labradors
09-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #3

You are right to be concerned about sudden behaviour changes, particularly when there's no obvious reason.

Your first port of call should be your vet, just to make sure that there's no medical reason. Are Poppy's teeth & gums healthy? Sudden chewing could be a sigh that something's not right in her mouth.

Pinching food & things to chew on ~ perhaps you need to look at nutrition? Could it be attention-seeking? Have a think about your own reactions to Poppy's behaviour when she pinches things ~ is there any "reward" for her, e.g. a chase, attention?

As for taking herself off to be on her own, has anything happened to change the relationship between the dogs? Squabbles over beds? What happens just before she takes herself off? With my two dogs it's certainly not unusual for them to choose to sleep in different parts of the house, so maybe Poppy just wants some peace & quiet?

If the vet gives Poppy the all clear, then all I can suggest is that you are really observant over the next few days ~ watch her body language closely, watch your other dogs & all family members to see if there are any triggers for the changed behaviours, look at the whole way you look after Poppy, e.g. diet, feeding times, amount of exercise, amount of attention, whether you still do training, anything in your normal routine that has changed, new neighbours, noises, building work nearby etc etc ~ the list could be endless!

Good luck with Poppy ~ I hope you get to the bottom of it but if she's physically fine, & still eating well & is lively & responsive, it could be something as simple as just getting older, more self-sufficient & wanting a bit of time on her own.

Dogsey Senior

09-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali
immediate thought would be the possibility of a season - that can affect a bitch's behaviour considerably.

Assuming that it isn't that, I would get her checked over by the vet as the other strong possible sudden change in behaviour could be down to pain/discomfort.

If there doesn't seem to be any physical reason, its possible that she's getting a little bored and needs more to challenge her mind. You mention about physical exercise, but not about mental exercise - springers do tend to need to work their minds as well as their bodies. 'Find it' games are often an easy way to do that, along with some short spells of training (which could be obedience, tricks or even jobs to help you around the house).

Thank you for your suggestions, I never thought about the possibility of her season causing a problem with her behaviour, she is in her second week at the moment, maybe it's hormonal then, but I think i will also get her checked over by our vet {just in case} my old man says that i worry to much, but I know when something is not quite right, again many thanks

Dogsey Senior

09-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar
You are right to be concerned about sudden behaviour changes, particularly when there's no obvious reason.

Your first port of call should be your vet, just to make sure that there's no medical reason. Are Poppy's teeth & gums healthy? Sudden chewing could be a sigh that something's not right in her mouth.

Pinching food & things to chew on ~ perhaps you need to look at nutrition? Could it be attention-seeking? Have a think about your own reactions to Poppy's behaviour when she pinches things ~ is there any "reward" for her, e.g. a chase, attention?

As for taking herself off to be on her own, has anything happened to change the relationship between the dogs? Squabbles over beds? What happens just before she takes herself off? With my two dogs it's certainly not unusual for them to choose to sleep in different parts of the house, so maybe Poppy just wants some peace & quiet?

If the vet gives Poppy the all clear, then all I can suggest is that you are really observant over the next few days ~ watch her body language closely, watch your other dogs & all family members to see if there are any triggers for the changed behaviours, look at the whole way you look after Poppy, e.g. diet, feeding times, amount of exercise, amount of attention, whether you still do training, anything in your normal routine that has changed, new neighbours, noises, building work nearby etc etc ~ the list could be endless!

Good luck with Poppy ~ I hope you get to the bottom of it but if she's physically fine, & still eating well & is lively & responsive, it could be something as simple as just getting older, more self-sufficient & wanting a bit of time on her own.
Thank you for your suggestions, it has given me a few ideas, but i will get her checked out by our vet.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Border Collies
09-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky
Thank you for your suggestions, I never thought about the possibility of her season causing a problem with her behaviour, she is in her second week at the moment, maybe it's hormonal then, but I think i will also get her checked over by our vet {just in case} my old man says that i worry to much, but I know when something is not quite right, again many thanks
I'm pretty sure that will be it in then. Dogs are quite like women when it comes to their seasons - some are affected a lot, some not much, some get moody, some grumpy...etc. etc. But, yes, if you are at all ill at ease, I would get your vet to check her over.